Rocky linux 8.5: NVIDIA-SMI has failed

Using this post https://developer.nvidia.com/blog/streamlining-nvidia-driver-deployment-on-rhel-8-with-modularity-streams/

i installed first installed the latest drives, at that time it said, gpu not suported use 470.XX legacy, then i switched to driver version 470.x and now i nvidia-smi prints:

NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn’t communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (46.0 KB)

There’s no kernel module installed. did you install a -dkms driver? You’ll then have to install dkms from epel.

1 Like

I see, i have dkms installed, should i shift to the precompiled instead? i used the precompiled with the for latest driver that “worked” if i recall correctly

dkms status
nvidia/470.82.01: added

Please run
sudo dkms install nvidia/470.82.01
and post any errors.
Otherwise, you might switch to the precompiled driver, if available.

1 Like

Got this error message:

Error! Your kernel headers for kernel 4.18.0-348.7.1.el8_5.x86_64 cannot be found at /lib/modules/4.18.0-348.7.1.el8_5.x86_64/build or /lib/modules/4.18.0-348.7.1.el8_5.x86_64/source.
Please install the linux-headers-4.18.0-348.7.1.el8_5.x86_64 package or use the --kernelsourcedir option to tell DKMS where it's located.

Was having the wrong kernel headers installed, so installed the correct ones, and now it builds and nvidea-smi displays correct information.

Thanks for help!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.