RTSP server in Jetpack

Hello Experts,

I have discovered that there is an rtsp server running on Jetpack which takes port 554. Can anyone tell me whats the use of this server? Can this server be stopped and/or removed so that I can run my own rtsp server at port 554?

Thanks,

How did you find that ?
Before you run your own server, what gives:

sudo netstat -lputn | grep 554

Note that with linux, tcp ports up to 1023 are supposed to be Well Known Ports and users may use higher ports numbers.

sudo netstat -lputn | grep 554

did not give anything. However, the follwing command

grep -w 554 /etc/services

gives the follwing output:

rtsp                   554/tcp                         # Real Time Stream Control Protocol
rtsp                   554/udp 

Does this mean that the port 554 is not used but reserved by the OS? I have a requirement to run a custom rtsp server at port 554. I can use other port such as 5050 and it works but when I try to use port 554 the server fails to initialize and I guess it is due to the above fact. Is there any way I can still use port 554?

Here simulating a local RTSP server streaming to port 554 with gstreamer example test-launch (note that for this port number, elevated privileges may be required, thus using sudo):

sudo ./test-launch -p 554 "videotestsrc ! video/x-raw,width=640,height=480,framerate=30/1 ! nvvidconv ! nvv4l2h264enc insert-vui=1 ! h264parse ! rtph264pay name=pay0"

Then you may be able to get details and preview on Jetson with:

gst-discoverer-1.0 -v rtsp://127.0.0.1:554/test
gst-play-1.0 -v rtsp://127.0.0.1:554/test

Actually my assumption was incorrect. I couldn’t bind 554 due to Unix security convention. Well known ports upto 1023 are the priviledged ports which cannot be used unless you use them as a root user. There is no rtsp server running on Jetpack. Port 554 is still free for use.

Thanks @Honey_Patouceul for your help. I decided to use an unpriviledged port for my custom rtsp server. It is better to abide Linux security convention.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.