Running cudart.dll via Wine Making the F@H gpu client run

Hello,

I know there is native linux support for CUDA. That is why I am hoping this will not be to difficult. Currently the Folding @ Home GPU client is windows only. We are trying to get it running in linux via Wine. We have gotten to the point where it is trying to initialize a CUDAstream but it fails. Now I am assuming that a simply wrapper needs to be written in order to get the cudart.dll calls translated to libcudart.so.2.0 (or libcudart.so).

My question is, is there any documentation out there listing the difference between the windows and linux version? I’m going through the documentation now but if Nvidia has already told me the difference then it makes it a little easier. I know that the base of the code has to be similar so I know some of the calls are already support natively but I also know some of the other calls must be translated into the appropriate command for the linux lib.

Thanks

CUDA is intimately tied in with the NVIDIA display driver. There are major differences between the linux and windows display drivers so I doubt running the windows client on Linux is a possibility.

At the source level, the API is identical, so if you use Wine just as an implementation of the Win32 API, but recompile the Folding@Home client from source, then it will probably work.

However, if you don’t have access to the source code, then it is going to be really hard, I would suspect. I know nothing about how one translates Windows DLL calls to normal Linux library calls. (Though the Wine developers obviously know how to do this.)

We have it working. All it took was a wrapper for a dll that was included with F@H. It converts the Windows style ELF commands meant for the cuda driver and turns them into the Linux compatable PE style for the Linux cuda driver. No changes were made to the F@H client which keeps us within their usage policy.

That is absolutely nuts. Good job.

Nice. I didn’t think of replacing cudart.dll like that when I first posted that this was “impossible”.

I’m amazed at the dedication and work that people like you have put into the F@H research. If only the rest of the science community got that kind of attention…