S870 issues

Hi,
I’m trying to setup a system that can talk to all 4 S870 GPUs. In other words, I want to have both 16x expansion cards plugged into a single system. As far as I could tell, none of the rack-mount systems on the ‘compatible systems list’ on the CUDA page had room for both 16x (Gen 2.0) expansion cards and a graphics card for the primary display.

So, I went and bought a 780i chipset based board, which has 2 Gen2 PCIe 16x slots and a third Gen1 16x slot. I have FC8 installed, and got CUDA working with the 8600 GPU card that’s also the primary display adapter.

However, when I connect the S870s, the machine won’t boot, I don’t even see the BIOS splash screen come up. So, I took out one of the expansion cards and moved the other one to the Gen1 slot (and the display adaptor to the Gen2 slot), and then it would boot. However, then running deviceQuery resets the computer.

Any ideas? If this 780i chipset is no good, does anyone have a recommendation on another platform that could support both S870 cards and a graphics card? Thanks,

Kalle

Well, I think I figured it out. Seems like enabling ‘PnP O/S’ in the BIOS allowed me to boot up OK with both cards connected. Then the other part of it was adding that vmalloc=256MB to the kernel options. I did some swapping of what slots the cards were in also, so I’ll have to go back and see if that mattered or not. Thanks,

Kalle

Hi,

I’ve got the same issue. I’ve tried out the “PnP OS” in BIOS but does not help. The S870 works only with one card installed into Gen1.0 slot (2 GPU).

Any suggestions?

best,

Max.

maks,
What specifically is the problem that you’re having?

What motherboard do you have? Also when both cards are plugged in, does the computer not boot at all, or does it boot but just with no graphics under X? Did you try permuting which cards are in which slots?

Kalle

Ok, in details:

I have motherboard Asus P5N-T Deluxe (780i SLI chipset), CoreDuo Quad G0, 8GB DDR2 and Asus EN8800 graphic card.

When I plug both of the s870 interface cards into PCE2.0 slots and the graphic board in PCE1.0 there is nothing going on the screen after power up (computer does not boot at all). If to get one of the S870 cards out, the system boots up well and shows 2 GPU C870 with nvidia-settings, including GPU0 as the EN8800 card. So, I’m looking up the solution how to get both of the S870 cards working (4 GPUs).

Any suggestions?

regards,

Max.

Kalle,

just tried out several combinations permuting the slots occupied. Same effect, not boot with 2 interface cards installed. With one card installed the host computer boots up well and 2 GPUs from S870 (2xC870) are accessible.

best,

Max.

Have you verified that you’re using the latest BIOS?

yes, I have the latest ones for motherboard and EN8800. Problem seems to be connected with PCIe x16 slots. The only way to get 2xGPUs of S870 working is to plug the intrface card into PCIe v1.1 x16 slot.

Any recommendations?

thanks.

This sounds like an issue specific to the motherboard that you’re using. Have you reported this problem to Asus?

I have the same motherboard, except I just got an 8600 card in this machine instead of an 8800 card (since it’s not doing much in terms of graphics). I dunno if that would make any difference to though. Also I flashed the latest version of the motherboard BIOS off ASUS’ site. Once I switched that PnP O/S option in the BIOS to Enabled, it started booting OK, although I admit I was futzing with alot of other settings at the time also.

Kalle