Screen/Video tearing 7xx(Kepler), 9xx(Maxwell), 10xx(Pascal) in almost all applications, including desktop

I won’t throw stones around, but yes NVidia should get it’s driver in check no matter how good their 3d performance may be, 2d and general desktop performance (including playing video) is more important.

But as a work around for the issue - “mplayer not playing video using the graphics card for the decoding” - there is chance it’s a bug in ffmpeg(though I’m pretty sure NVidia driver does something stupid or doesn’t do something).
The problem as it turns out is that mplayer/ffmpeg doesn’t try the codecs it’s supposed to try when playing through vdpau. The workaround is simple - add the following lines to ~/.mplayer/config :

vo=vdpau,xv,
[vo.vdpau]
vc=ffmpeg12vdpau,ffwmv3vdpau,ffvc1vdpau,ffh264vdpau,ffodivxvdpau,-ffmpeg12,-ffh264,-ffwmv3,-ffvc1,
vf-clr=yes

the second group actually does the job - it tells mplayer/ffmpeg to try the vdpau based codecs first and removes the corresponding not vdpau based codecs and then to try all others (the ‘,’ at the end) but only if your video output is vdpau. If I remember correctly vf-clr is because vdpau doesn’t play nice with filters (which is not a problem for just playing videos).

The first group is because my mplayer didn’t acknowledge that it’s using vdpau until I actually told it to use it although it still did >.>.

NOTES: this works for me :) it might break something on your system.
I’m using fedora 18 64bit with 650GTX and have rpmfusion and the russian fedora repo(some codecs come from them though I’m pretty sure it doesn’t have anything to do with vdpau) and nvidia driver 310.41 although with 319.x it worked too.
And as I mentioned the russian fedora repo - this doesn’t work with their build of mplayer2 and I can’t provide any inside for any other player.

p.s. XBMC works fine with vdpau(no configuration required) with any driver from 304.x or 310.x BUT segfaults with anything from 319.x(sometimes X goes down too :)) and most notably I can’t even make it play video normally trough any means with that version.

One more with this issue. GTX 690, no compositing or effects.

I bought a Gigabyte GV-N660OC-2GD (GTX 660) a couple of month ago and I have terrible tearing in every application ever since. I’m running Debian Sid with a custom kernel and an up-to-date binary Nvidia driver in KDE 4.10.4. Scrolling in Iceweasel results in massive tearing artefacts in the upper third of the browser window, watching videos (no matter what player and what video device) is no fun at all with this kind of image distortions, even moving windows around the desktop shows tearing.

I tried a lot of settings, disabled vsync in KDE, disabled compositing, checked the framerate (it’s 60 fps with vsync on as supposed to be), tried several driver versions, tried the different video out plugs of the graphics card, enabled triple buffering, however nothing helped. I returned the card this week because of a faulty fan and got a replacement card, which acts exactly as the returned one.

If I exchange the said card by my old 8800 GT, I have none of these problems in the exact same setup, no tearing anywhere.

The only workaround for video playback I found is setting VDPAU_NVIDIA_NO_OVERLAY=0 globaly and disabling compositing in KDE as described by ibudo above.

I regret having bought a Nvidia card. Ironically I didn’t buy AMD because of video tearing problems, I had with ATI in the past.

I just bought a GTX 660 as well, and immediately ran into this tearing problem. After some fiddling around with various system settings, I think I might have gotten rid of it. I simply set PowerMizerMode to “Prefer Maximum Performance”:

nvidia-settings -a [gpu:0]/GPUPowerMizerMode=1

Of course this probably won’t help much if you’re running on battery power… But it would be nice if somebody could confirm this.

This was among the first things I tried but it does not change anything for me.

From my analysis and tests "set PowerMizerMode to “Prefer Maximum Performance” only helps for flash videos; not for other issues in vlc, mplayer, firefox etc.

PowerMizer settings make no difference for me either.

This is getting crazy, today I have tearing even with -vo gl in mplayer :-(

Only PowerMizer set to Maximum Performance and -vo gl help this time.

Upping.

Anyone else tried 319.32?

Quote: “On Kepler-based GPUs, improved the appearance of the tearing that occurs when using RandR 1.4’s Source Output capability.While tearing is still expected, the tears should now appear as horizontal lines rather than more noticeable checkerboard or triangular shapes.”

–> No improvement for me in VLC (using xv) and Firefox after first short test

At least some receiption by NVIDIA of the problem…

P.s. this driver FIXES the reporting problem of the gpu / memory speed in nvidia-settings :)

325.08 (beta) -> no change / improvement for me

p.s. in this beta nvidia-settings still shows the wrong GPU clock speed again, maybe it is not as up tp date as the version in 319.32

Likewise.

I have reasons to believe that since NVIDIA perfectly knows about this issue and they’ve never commented on it, then there’s something inherently broken about the Kepler architecture.

This issue is now almost 7 months old and NVIDIA doesn’t even want to admit it exists.

Count this message as yet another bump.

I’m starting to hate NVIDIA - this is a very serious issue, basically 2D is broken for many people - yet there’s no confirmation from NVIDIA.

This situation sucks.

Bump.

Bump.

Bump.

Bump. Ive just bought a 660ti for my girlfriend and she has this issue to. The GTX 210 this card is replacing never had tearing.

Interesting enough XV has tearing for me (but not the usual tearing a very weird issue). It happens on both my gtx 670 and my gt 650m (macbook retina pro); however, both exhibit no tearing/problems using -vo vdpau so I usually just stick to that.

↑↑↑

↑↑↑