SD card damage protection

Yes, thanks for the clone hint. I have done this a lot of times with my RPI SDs.

“lehni-repo” is this GitHub - lehni/root-ro: Read-only root filesystem for Raspbian Stretch and Jetson Nano (using OverlayFS). If you check what is done in install-nano.sh, then it is simply doing initramfs and adding this as INITRD to the boot config. And create some mount scripts. So basically it is what all the world is saying what has to be done to create an overlayfs.

BTW: After the installation there is also already such an image in the same directory the /etc/boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf. You can achieve the same endless bootloop by adding this as INITRD

OK, I will start to flash the initial image.

OK, groundhog day again.

1. Flashed canned image. Changed “quiet”, rebooted.

Bootlog:
first.txt (80.3 KB)

1. Applied “lehni”

neil@jetson:~/root-ro$ sudo ./install-nano.sh
    dphys-swapfile is not installed, assuming we dont need to disable swap
    Setting up maintenance scripts in /root…
    Setting up initramfs-tools scripts…
    Adding “overlay” to /etc/initramfs-tools/modules
    Updating initramfs…
    update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.9.201-tegra
    Warning: couldn’t identify filesystem type for fsck hook, ignoring.
    I: The initramfs will attempt to resume from /dev/zram3
    I: (UUID=5753da45-79ca-4e0a-877c-5ccdbaa84457)
    I: Set the RESUME variable to override this.
    /sbin/ldconfig.real: Warning: ignoring configuration file that cannot be opened: /etc/ld.so.conf.d/aarch64-linux-gnu_EGL.conf: No such file or directory
    /sbin/ldconfig.real: Warning: ignoring configuration file that cannot be opened: /etc/ld.so.conf.d/aarch64-linux-gnu_GL.conf: No such file or directory
    Changing INITRD in /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf
    Removing the random seed file
    Please restart your Jetson Nano now to boot into read-only mode
    neil@jetson:~/root-ro$

2. Attempt to setup “permanent RO” failed:

neil@jetson:~/root-ro$ sudo /root/reboot-ro
    The root filesystem is already in readonly mode.

3. Rebooted then normally:

neil@jetson:~/root-ro$ sudo reboot
    Connection to 192.168.188.87 closed by remote host.
    Connection to 192.168.188.87 closed.

Bootlog:
second.txt (96.6 KB)

Result: Endless boot…

Re-flashing now.

There must be a general problem with this approach in later versions of JP. With an R32 image at least this endless boot loop does not appear, but the system after the patch wasn’t really read-only. (THISDOESNOTWORK comment). I now entered the contained INITRD.IMG, which I found after the fresh installation, and the same symptom of an endless boot loop appears.

Say goodbye to overlayfs on later versions?

Found image:

neil@jetson:~$ ls -lall /boot/initrd.img
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 Mär 13 22:10 /boot/initrd.img -> initrd.img-4.9.201-tegra

FYI, one of the biggest “moving targets” of L4T releases is boot code. Everything leading up to and including the kernel load changes rapidly, while the actual Linux o/s does not change much. Anything touching the boot code such that it makes assumptions from another L4T release is probably going to fail. My R32.1 kernel is “4.9.140-tegra”, while I see the script you used is naming “4.9.201-tegra”. My R32.4.3 release also shows kernel “4.9.140-tegra” (there is an initrd involved in R32.4.3 as a default, so this is an example of changing boot requirements depending on L4T release). I don’t currently have an R32.5.x release installed, but what do you see from these commands?

uname -r
head -n 1 /etc/nv_tegra_release
ls -l /boot/Image*
ls -l /boot/initrd*

(I’m thinking there may be a kernel version change used in support of OverlayFS, and perhaps the kernel release and build may be at least at fault for whatever L4T release you are using)

Also, I’m not sure if the forums will upload some file types, but could you attach your “/boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf”? You might need to rename it “extlinux.txt”. I’d also like a copy of any “/boot/initrd*”. Beware that when you run “ls -l /boot/initrd*” a symbolic link will possibly show up with an arrow “initrd.img->...” pointing at some other file, and I do need to know about the sym link, but I only need a copy of the actual initrd file it points at. On my R32.4.1 system I see:

root@nx:/boot# cd
root@nx:~# ls -l /boot/initrd*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  5565615 Jun 25  2020 /boot/initrd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       24 Jun 23  2020 /boot/initrd.img -> initrd.img-4.9.140-tegra
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 15231643 Jan 28 13:51 /boot/initrd.img-4.9.140-tegra

…and in this case I’d be interested in a copy of “/boot/initrd” and “/boot/initrd-4.9.140-tegra”. I am only guessing, but your script may have installed another initrd (probably it would have “4.9.201-tegra” in its name, but that is only a guess).

You could make these files smaller by copying them somewhere else, and then running “bzip2 -9 initrd...” (use the actual file name), and this would compress to become “initrd...something.bz2” (the original file would be renamed the same thing with a “.bz2” file name extension). If you cannot attach these to the forum, then we can find another way to get the files.

Once again, I am only guessing, but I suspect that the issue is somewhere within the combination of kernel file, initrd files, and firmware related to those. All of these are related to boot.

One clue, which I don’t really know if it is involved yet, is that on your boot log I see:

## Flattened Device Tree blob at 83100000
   Booting using the fdt blob at 0x83100000
ERROR: reserving fdt memory region failed (addr=0 size=0)
ERROR: reserving fdt memory region failed (addr=0 size=0)

…perhaps a kernel change needed to work with those memory regions is incompatible, and if the init software is mixing up 4.9.140-tegra and 4.9.201-tegra, perhaps it is as simple as getting a consistent kernel configuration both in and out of the initrd. I can unpack any initrd and figure out the flow of boot and hopefully make a guess at anything broken due to different kernel releases and device tree.

That sounds pretty elaborated and I will be happy to provide you with all the required info. But out of curiosity: Wouldn’t it be way easier if you would simply follow the two lines below to set it all up on your device? Honestly I would pay you for your efforts. Just PM me and we agree on something?

Steps

• download and flash latest Nvidia provided JP4.5 image
  • apply the „lehni-scripts“

Again I would compensate you for that if I in the end would have a receipt for how to mske my SD RO

But I will also provide the info later

hello foreverneilyoung,

please check this, if your goal by making sd-card as readonly for production systems.
Can Jetson developer kits be used as production systems or as part of a product?

Jetson Nano Developer Kits (i.e. SD-card versions) are NOT for production use.
The Developer Kit is used to develop and test software in a pre-production environment.

it’s my curiosity why you claim lehni works for Jetson Nano?
it did not show any functional JetPack release version in the repository description.
besides, I would also doubt it works with JetPack releases since its tested image was used-on kernel-4.14, whereas the latest JetPack-4.5 is kernel-4.9.

for your reference,
we had similar discussion thread, Topic 60860 to make rootfs as read-only using overlayfsroot. this were test by earlier JetPack release versions. (i.e. JetPack-3.2).
here’s also a discussion thread, linuxquestions.org, which talking about how to setup a readonly rootfs without an initramfs.
thanks

Jetson Nano Developer Kits (i.e. SD-card versions) are NOT for production use.
The Developer Kit is used to develop and test software in a pre-production environment.

And what? I could now say, I don’t intend to use it in production, just for a POC, which would be true. But who cares? I lately read such a note on an ordinary bucket: “Please note this is just for wish water. Don’t use it as toilet. Use public rest rooms instead.” You know what? I ignored it and the bucket didn’t melt away…

I don’t want to kill the king, I just want to do something, which is in other Linux systems obviously the easiest thing to achieve. Even the “lehni” thing: It is based on a script written for a very old RPI version, and it is still running on the latest Raspbian OS.

This argument is ridiculous, to say it politely. You should rather help me to make it work, if you drop in, because that would be the way to go, not to say: DONT’ DO THAT, IT’S THE FORBIDDEN PALACE.

it’s my curiosity why you claim lehni works for Jetson Nano?

Not my claim. The claim of the owner of the repo. I had a thread with him, in which I showed him, that it doesn’t work. overlayfs for Jetson - #19 by juerg
He said that it worked for him on an earlier kernel. I tried that too. It didn’t work for me either on older versions, it didn’t go into an endless boot, but it wasn’t read only either…

for your reference,
we had similar discussion thread, Topic 60860 to make rootfs as read-only using overlayfsroot. this were test by earlier JetPack release versions. (i.e. JetPack-3.2).

Yes I know these, and as far as I can see, none of these did end up in something reproducible today. Or do you see this? What do you want to tell me with this argument? I would be happy if you could show me a working solution for the simple question “HOW TO MAKE MY SD RO AND THE ENTIRE STUFF IS STILL WORKING”, because with my RPI background I would expect this should be possible, otherwise please don’t stop me here

Thanks

I don’t currently have an R32.5.x release installed, but what do you see from these commands?

Here you are:

neil@jetson:~$ uname -r
4.9.201-tegra
neil@jetson:~$ head -n 1 /etc/nv_tegra_release
# R32 (release), REVISION: 5.0, GCID: 25531747, BOARD: t210ref, EABI: aarch64, DATE: Fri Jan 15 22:55:35 UTC 2021
neil@jetson:~$ ls -l /boot/Image*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 34338824 Jan 19 21:59 /boot/Image
neil@jetson:~$ ls -l /boot/initrd*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7159844 Jan 19 21:59 /boot/initrd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 Mär 14 16:20 /boot/initrd.img -> initrd.img-4.9.201-tegra
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 15282367 Mär 14 16:21 /boot/initrd.img-4.9.201-tegra

Also, I’m not sure if the forums will upload some file types, but could you attach your “ /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf

Here is the file:

extlinux.conf (845 Bytes)

initrd (6.8 MB)

initrd.img-4.9.201-tegra (14.6 MB)

Please note: All these files are in the state after a fresh installation of JP4.5. No sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade. Just flash and configure. No “lehni-script” applied yet.

If I change /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf that way, that

INITRD /boot/initrd

is

INITRD /boot/initrd.img

the system does not return. It goes into an endless boot. This is the symptom I’m seeing now since several weeks, whenever I try to make that overlayFS run.

Thanks for your time. Again, I would compensate you for that, I don’t expect you to help me without. My mail is my forum name plus ‘at googlemail.com

@linuxdev: Since you have asked for it on another thread (overlayfs for Jetson - #29 by hegnozespu):

Here is mine:

neil@jetson:~$ cat /proc/device-tree/chosen/bootargs
tegraid=21.1.2.0.0 ddr_die=4096M@2048M section=512M memtype=0 vpr_resize usb_port_owner_info=0 lane_owner_info=0 emc_max_dvfs=0 touch_id=0@63 video=tegrafb no_console_suspend=1 console=ttyS0,115200n8 debug_uartport=lsport,4 earlyprintk=uart8250-32bit,0x70006000 maxcpus=4 usbcore.old_scheme_first=1 lp0_vec=0x1000@0xff780000 core_edp_mv=1075 core_edp_ma=4000 gpt tegra_fbmem=0x800000@0x92ca9000 is_hdmi_initialised=1 earlycon=uart8250,mmio32,0x70006000 root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rw rootwait rootfstype=ext4 console=ttyS0,115200n8 console=tty0 fbcon=map:0 net.ifnames=0 quiet root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rw rootwait rootfstype=ext4 console=ttyS0,115200n8 console=tty0 fbcon=map:0 net.ifnames=0 neil@jetson:~$

I would end up backing up (via clone) the current installation, and it is possible I could work on this locally and find an answer. However, there is no guarantee that anything I find would be the same as on your end. The local environment can itself have major effects. Even something as simple as character set and language on the host o/s can drastically change what happens. I’d really like to see the initrd and device tree actually running for your case. It sounds complicated, but they are just files…the only issue is if you can directly attach them to the forum thread, and if not, find an alternate file upload site. There is no guarantee that doing this locally would be fast, or even succeed at all, so I’d rather start with examining those files (and if I did try local install, then I’d still want to compare a working install against your initrd and device tree).

OK, will do a clone and provide it to you somehow :)

It is pretty much impossible to detect and access the SD after having plugged it into my Ubuntu. I have done this clone several times now with RPI images, I have scripts, which shrink the PI image and finally gzip it.

But here something strange happens: The device is there, it is /dev/sdc. Ubunutu reacts on plug/unplug. But neither sudo unmount /dev/sdc works nor sudo dd....

I’m having seen this on my mac too. Whenever I plug the card (flashed with the Jetson image) the system complains, that it can’t recognise the file system.

EDIT: The Jetson boots perfectly from this SD

hello foreverneilyoung,

Ubuntu natively does not support the read-only rootfs, and there are lots of services would write to rootfs during runtime.
so, we don’t support that directly; you may need some tricks to make read-only rootfs to works.

The initrd is just a file. If your Nano is running, then you can look at “cat /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf”. If there is an “INITRD” line, then it names an initrd as an actual file, e.g., “/boot/initrd”. You can simply copy that file to your host PC via scp, or plug in an SD card with that file directly to the host PC. Copy the file somewhere else, and post if the forum allows. If the forum won’t allow it, then another upload service (e.g., something like pastebin) could be used and you could provide the URL.

Btw, unmounting command is “umount”, not “unmount”. It is an abbreviation in the actual command.

There is a similar possible file, and if “extlinux.conf” has an “FDT” line, then it will name another file (with a “.dtb” file name extension) somewhere in “/boot”. This too can be directly copied to your host PC by a number of methods, e.g., scp.

scp is a very useful and convenient tool. scp copies files over ssh. So if your Jetson has address 192.168.55.1 (substitute with what the address really is), and if you are logged in to a Linux host PC, and if your account name on the Jetson is “ubuntu” (use whatever name you really log in with), then you could copy “/boot/initrd” to your host PC via:

scp ubuntu@192.168.55.1:/boot/initrd .

…and “initrd” would then be on your host from whatever directory you ran from. Thus, it is convenient to first cd to some temp location, e.g., “cd ~/Downloads”, and then perform the scp.

Other operating systems have scp available, but might differ in command line use. I know on Windows PuTTY works well, but has a much different GUI interface. No doubt Mac has something, but I’ve never used it so I couldn’t tell you what its equivalent is.

Are you talking to me? I guess I have sent you my files already 2 days ago? See above? Or what do I miss?

EDIT: My post on Mar 15 contains all the things you were asking for… I don’t understand your comment.

This was a typo in the post. Actually I typed umount in the console.

I don’t see the initrd file above. Other links, but not that. It is possible that if you tried to upload the initrd file the forum rejected it.

Browser issue? Using Chrome on macOS. I can see it

EDIT: I can even download it. But I will upload it to dropbox again

Here you are

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b70rp7ycwbawugi/initrd?dl=1

EDIT: Managed to make a clone of my SD now. But it wasn’t that unmount vs. umount. The SD was not mounted at all. And dd worked today, don’t know why not yesterday. Will zip and dropbox it