SDK Makefile bug in template, is that really possible?

In the Makefile supplied with $(SDK)/projects/template, you can read the following:

Add source files here

EXECUTABLE := template

CUDA source files (compiled with cudacc)

CUFILES := template.cu

CUDA dependency files

CU_DEPS := template_kernel.cu

C/C++ source files (compiled with gcc / c++) <-- Dangerous!

CCFILES := template_gold.cpp

This works for files with the ‘cpp’ extender, but for C-files with a ‘c’ extension a ‘make clean’ will remove the source and leave the object, which may come in as surprise to some …

After looking into common.mk I noticed that there is also a CFILES variable. Using that one instead works as expected for C, but then shows the same symptom as above but now for ‘cpp’ :rolleyes:

What appears to work is something like:

Build script for project:

EXECUTABLE := template
######################################

CUDA source files (compiled with cudacc)

CUFILES := template.cu

CUDA dependency files

CU_DEPS := template_kernel.cu

C source files (compiled with gcc)

CFILES := template_sound.c

C++ source files (compiled with c++)

CCFILES := template_ui.cpp

######################################

Rules and targets

#verbose :=1

include …/…/common/common.mk
######################################

Additional compiler flags and libraries

activate Intel intrinsics in C-files

CFLAGS += -mssse3

use ALSA for sound

LIB += -lasound

I confirm this ‘bug’… well maybe nvidia thinks this is a feature ;)

Yeah, to give support for statements like: “compiler ate my homework …” :unsure:

A more user-proof fix is to edit the definition of the OBJS variable in the common.mk file to filter the proper extensions

SAFE_CUFILES := $(filter %.cu,$(CUFILES))

SAFE_CCFILES := $(filter %.cpp,$(CCFILES) $(CFILES))

SAFE_CFILES  := $(filter %.c,$(CCFILES) $(CFILES))

OBJDIR := $(ROOTOBJDIR)/$(BINSUBDIR)

OBJS +=  $(patsubst %.cpp,$(OBJDIR)/%.cpp_o,$(notdir $(SAFE_CCFILES)))

OBJS +=  $(patsubst %.c,$(OBJDIR)/%.c_o,$(notdir $(SAFE_CFILES)))

OBJS +=  $(patsubst %.cu,$(OBJDIR)/%.cu_o,$(notdir $(SAFE_CUFILES)))

If I understand correctly, then I should paste this code in NVIDIA_CUDA_SDK/common/common.mk

############################################################

####################

# Set up object files

############################################################

####################

OBJDIR := $(ROOTOBJDIR)/$(BINSUBDIR)

OBJS +=  $(patsubst %.cpp,$(OBJDIR)/%.cpp.o,$(notdir $(CCFILES)))

OBJS +=  $(patsubst %.c,$(OBJDIR)/%.c.o,$(notdir $(CFILES)))

OBJS +=  $(patsubst %.cu,$(OBJDIR)/%.cu.o,$(notdir $(CUFILES)))

#SAFE_CUFILES := $(filter %.cu,$(CUFILES))

#SAFE_CCFILES := $(filter %.cpp,$(CCFILES) $(CFILES))

#SAFE_CFILES  := $(filter %.c,$(CCFILES) $(CFILES))

#OBJDIR := $(ROOTOBJDIR)/$(BINSUBDIR)

#OBJS +=  $(patsubst %.cpp,$(OBJDIR)/%.cpp_o,$(notdir $(SAFE_CCFILES)))

#OBJS +=  $(patsubst %.c,$(OBJDIR)/%.c_o,$(notdir $(SAFE_CFILES)))

#OBJS +=  $(patsubst %.cu,$(OBJDIR)/%.cu_o,$(notdir $(SAFE_CUFILES)))

Like you see your code is commented out, but if I comment original code and let your code, then doing make on NVIDIA_CUDA_SDK, then I get

$ make

make[1]: entering directory `/home/tyoc/NVIDIA_CUDA_SDK/common'

make[1]: *** There are no rules for build object `obj/release/bank_checker.cpp_o', needed for `../lib/libcutil.a'.  Stop.

make[1]: Exiting directory `/home/tyoc/NVIDIA_CUDA_SDK/common'

make: *** [lib/libcutil.so] Error 2

So, what should I do?

Looks like the extension should be .cpp.o instead of .cpp_o. (oops) Try the following:

############################################################

####################

# Set up object files

############################################################

####################

OBJDIR := $(ROOTOBJDIR)/$(BINSUBDIR)

OBJS +=  $(patsubst %.cpp,$(OBJDIR)/%.cpp.o,$(notdir $(CCFILES)))

OBJS +=  $(patsubst %.c,$(OBJDIR)/%.c.o,$(notdir $(CFILES)))

OBJS +=  $(patsubst %.cu,$(OBJDIR)/%.cu.o,$(notdir $(CUFILES)))

#SAFE_CUFILES := $(filter %.cu,$(CUFILES))

#SAFE_CCFILES := $(filter %.cpp,$(CCFILES) $(CFILES))

#SAFE_CFILES  := $(filter %.c,$(CCFILES) $(CFILES))

#OBJDIR := $(ROOTOBJDIR)/$(BINSUBDIR)

#OBJS +=  $(patsubst %.cpp,$(OBJDIR)/%.cpp.o,$(notdir $(SAFE_CCFILES)))

#OBJS +=  $(patsubst %.c,$(OBJDIR)/%.c.o,$(notdir $(SAFE_CFILES)))

#OBJS +=  $(patsubst %.cu,$(OBJDIR)/%.cu.o,$(notdir $(SAFE_CUFILES)))

[/code]