SDK Manager Broken CLI

The new SDK Manager, 0.9.14.4954, no longer downloads the JetPack components when using the CLI:

sdkmanager --cli downloadonly --user user@example.com --logintype devzone --product Jetson --version GA_4.2.1 --targetos Linux --target P2180 --flash skip --license accept --downloadfolder /tmp/GA_4.2.1/P2180

Login succeeded.
Retrieving data…
Data retrieved successfully.
Installation of this software is under the terms and conditions of the license agreements located in /opt/nvidia/sdkmanager/Eula/
Installing target to folder: /home//nvidia/nvidia_sdk
Download:
File System and OS [▇▇▇▇————————————————————————————————] 6% 16.08MB/s
Drivers for Jetson TX1/Nano [▇▇▇▇————————————————————————————————] 6% 13.36MB/s

In prior versions you would get:

Logging in…
Login succeeded.
Retrieving data…
Installation of this software is under the terms and conditions of the license agreements located in /opt/nvidia/sdkmanager/Eula/
Download:
File System and OS ✔ [▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇] 100
Drivers for Jetson TX1/Nano ✔ [▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇] 100
CUDA Toolkit for L4T ✔ [▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇] 100
cuDNN on Target ✔ [▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇] 100
TensorRT on Target ✔ [▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇] 100
OpenCV on Target ✔ [▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇] 100
VisionWorks on Target ✔ [▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇] 100
NVIDIA Container Runtime with Docke… ✔ [▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇] 100
Multimedia API ✔ [▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇] 100
Install log file is available at: /home//.nvsdkm/sdkm.log
All done!

If I log into the UI and select download only, it will download all components. This issue is separate from the missing deepstream download via the CLI.

And this effects multiple devices and multiple JetPack versions. I would roll back to the older SDK Manager, but all of its downloads broke when the new SDK manager was released. The command line is completely unusable at this point.

Hi,

I am also having similar issues downloading JetPack 4.2 using the CLI. I Get two download bars and then an “All Done”, but the rest of the packages don’t download. What has changed on the backend. Can someone from Nvidia please explain why the new update bricked the CLI?

I am experiencing the same issue. The skdmanager cli no longer appears to download all components after recent update.

@Nvidia: any update on this? Would be nice to have the CLI working again as before as currently there is no way to fully automate the initial setup headless as part of a CI/CD pipeline.

@Nvidia is there any updates on this or some sort of timeline as to when you guys are expecting the CLI to get fixed as it bricks alot of our internal processes since we’ve established methods to flash our devices using this method from a backend and deployment perspective. A prompt response would be beneficial.

Hi guys, sorry for the delay - we’re currently looking into this and hope to get back to you with an update soon.

For the time being, what I can suggest is downloading the packages once from the GUI to your desired location and then using the packages from there.

To download the post-flash target device components like CUDA toolkit, cuDNN, TensorRT, ect. make the following changes to the command line:

1. Remove the 'skip' attribute from '--flash'
  2. Add '--installontarget'

The full command line should be:

$ sdkmanager --cli downloadonly --user user@example.com --logintype devzone --product Jetson --version GA_4.2.1 --targetos Linux --target P2180 --flash --license accept --installontarget --downloadfolder /tmp/GA_4.2.1/P2180

More Download-Only options are below:

Only target-image components

$ sdkmanager --cli downloadonly --user user@example.com --logintype devzone --product Jetson --version GA_4.2.1 --targetos Linux --target P2180 --license accept --flash

Only target components

$ sdkmanager --cli downloadonly --user user@example.com --logintype devzone --product Jetson --version GA_4.2.1 --targetos Linux --target P2180 --license accept --installontarget

Target-image & target components

$ sdkmanager --cli downloadonly --user user@example.com --logintype devzone --product Jetson --version GA_4.2.1 --targetos Linux --target P2180 --license accept --flash --installontarget

Thanks Dusty. I’ll give this a try and report back. Are there plans to update the documentation for this? It is very outdated and missing a lot of this nuance now: https://docs.nvidia.com/sdk-manager/sdkm-command-line-install/index.html - I believe the command line app help itself also needs to be updated.

Thanks Ian, yes we plan on updating the SDK Manager’s command line mode with a number of improvements in the near future.

I’ve done a bit of testing and here’s what I’ve encountered:

Running

sdkmanager --cli downloadonly --user user@example.com --logintype devzone --product Jetson \
            --version GA_4.2.1 --targetos Linux --target P3310 --flash --installontarget \
            --license accept --downloadfolder /tmp/GA_4.2.1/P3310

The application just hangs and never does anything. If I then open the SDK Manager, log in saving credentials, then close the SDK Manager, I can now run the command line.

It also tells me it is saving to /home//nvidia/nvidia_sdk which is doesn’t actually install anything to:

Login succeeded.
Retrieving data...
Installing target to folder: /home/<user>/nvidia/nvidia_sdk
Download:                                                             
 File System and OS                     ✔ [▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇] 100%
 Drivers for Jetson TX2 & TX2i          ✔ [▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇] 100%
 CUDA Toolkit for L4T                   ✔ [▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇] 100%
 cuDNN on Target                        ✔ [▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇] 100%
 TensorRT on Target                     ✔ [▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇] 100%
 OpenCV on Target                       ✔ [▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇] 100%
 VisionWorks on Target                  ✔ [▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇] 100%
 NVIDIA Container Runtime with Docke... ✔ [▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇] 100%
 Multimedia API                         ✔ [▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇] 100%
Install log file is available at: /home/idavis/.nvsdkm/sdkm.log
  1. So we can no longer log in via the command line when running the sdkmanager. We must log in first, the close it, then run the cli.
  2. There is no way to download the DeepStream or TensorFlow components without going through the UI
  3. The log messaging is incorrect with regard to the installation folder.
  4. –installontarget isn’t found in the command line help
  5. The CLI options we’re using here are marked as only for install/uninstall in the command line help.

Thanks again for your help.

Hi ian.f.davis,

Thanks for your feedback. Please see a few answers below.

Can you let me know your sdkmanager client version? I tested with 0.9.14-4964, but couldn’t reproduce the issue. If you are using the same version, can you please upload the ~/.nvsdkm/sdkm.log file for more investigation?

Yes. We’ll fix the issue with additional sdk in next release.

sdkmanager --help command also lists downloadonly option, like the following:

sdkmanager --help

Options

-h, --help                                    Displays this usage guide.                                                    
  --query                                       Optional. Prints all options available for the user. Must be executed with    
                                                the --user or --offline settings                                              
  --cli install|uninstall|update|downloadonly   CLI mode option. This allows SDK Manager to run install, uninstall, download  
                                                only or update without displaying a user interface.                           
  --view none|live|log                          Optional. This option allows you to view the cli install while it is in       
                                                process, output to a log file, or turn off viewing the install completely.    
                                                Default value is live.                                                        
  --logs                                        Optional. Exports the log files when the install process is complete.         
  --logintype devzone|nvonline                  Optional. Login with devzone or nvonline, default is devzone.                 
  --archivedversions                            Optional. Display only archived versions.