Select the best device

Hi,

Let’s say that I have a list of available GPU devices.
Which property gives the most powerful GPU?
Is it CL_DEVICE_MAX_CLOCK_FREQUENCY or CL_DEVICE_MAX_COMPUTE_UNITS or something else?
I guess it’s a combination of these values but I’m not sure.
Is there something related to GFLOPS?
I’m sure there is a more or less standard way to find the best device (is “best” really means something…).

Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

If at all, I’d also use a combination of both, and probably other properties.

I’d say there is not. This is simply because which device performs “best” on you problem also heavily depends on your algorithm, memory layout, local work size etc., which are not related to the actual GPU hardware. You’ll probably only be able to very roughly pick a “fast” device, but by no means you’ll be able to guarantee that another device on the system will not be faster for the same problem with a certain set of parameters.

That was my feeling. Some algorithms need more memory and others need a greater frequency… So the “best” GPU depends on the problem to be solved.
But anyway, usually we only have one GPU, and if we have 2, this means that either the difference between them is clear, or that there are the same (SLI, etc.).

I was just wandering is there was a standard way to do it. Now it’s clear. Thanks for your answer.

Cheers,

Vincent