Serial log shows garbled characters

Using TX2 NX core board, Linux Jetson version: R32.7.1, serial terminal configuration: set to speed 115200, 8 bits, no parity, and 1 stop bit, when booting, the serial interface displays garbled characters, do you need the software to open the serial port log switch?

Any serial console program works. My favorite is “gtkterm” (“sudo apt-get install gtkterm”). Example use:
gtkterm -b 8 -t 1 -s 115200 -p /dev/...serial port...

If this shows up but is garbled, then it might be you have a cable designed for a different voltage. Are you certain your cable uses 3.3V TTL logic level? Also, how much of the cable length is unshielded? A typical USB cable is USB for most of its length, and that cable length is not an issue; however, the wires where it breaks out into separate wires should be kept short, and if the length is more than a few inches, then it should have the TX and RX as a twisted pair.

I almost forgot: If your character set on the host PC is significantly different than those on the Jetson (UTF-8), then it might be working as expected, but translating characters wrong. On the host side, what do you see from “echo $LANG”? If it isn’t “UTF-8”, then you might run this command before running the serial console app:
export LANG=en_US.UTF-8

Now the serial port output is normal, it is caused by the wrong interface connected by my serial port cable, thank you very much! !

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.