Series 550 freezes laptop

I can confirm rollback to 545.29.06-4 fix the issue.

I have the same issue and it occurs only on laptop, on my PC tower I didn’t notice any crash.
It always crashes in rb_first function and sometimes I even got kernel panics (probably due to systemd dying).

I tested kernels from 6.6.x to 6.8.x.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=293400
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=293768

Edit:
CPU: Intel Core i7-4810MQ
GPU: GeForce GTX 1060

Hello, is there some news?

it seems like linux-zen 6.8.X breaks older 545 driver. It might be an issue on my side. could anyone confirm this?

That’s correct. You can’t use 6.8 kernel with nvidia 5.45 version or older.

1 Like

Yes, it doesn’t compile

Hi All,
Acknowledged the issue and have a bug 4564213 filed internally for tracking purpose.
Shall keep updated on bug status.

12 Likes

I have jankingly upgraded to the new 550.67 driver, found in the Arch testing repos. I still get kernel panics, but it might not be an NVIDIA driver issue, as the laptop has yet to hang when I tried plugging and unplugging constantly.

It seems that now I’m able to trigger the panic every time I plug and unplug. The issue could be tlp, as I see related messages along with the kernel panic. tho, tlp has stopped working upon unplugging the laptop.

I have still attached the required files in hopes that this is still some useful information.

UPDATE: upon rebooting again, the issue persists and now the laptop completely hangs, even during reboot sequences

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (1.2 MB)
kernel.log (16.9 KB)

1 Like

Yeah same problem for me, 550.67 sadly doesnt fix it.

I’m having the same issue on a X1 Extreme 4th Gen, VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GA104M [GeForce RTX 3080 Mobile / Max-Q 8GB/16GB] (rev a1).

Last week it crashed during the upgrade and corrupted my system. That’s my work machine so I cannot spend time experimenting with it, however I managed to take some photos of the crash.

Unfortunately I did not manage to collect any bug report with the unstable packages.

I’m using Archlinux the crashes got really bad with 550.54. Unfortunately even my pacman logs got corrupeted, but looking at the Arch archive, I’m pretty sure I was running linux-6.7.9.arch1-1-x86_64.

Reverting the kernel to 6.6.8-arch1-1 and Nvidia driver to 545.29.06-7 fixed the issues for me.

I’m a new user so I can only upload a single image :/

If the videos could be helpful (it’s just the two last photos with the capslock light blinking) let me know and I’ll try to find a way to upload/link them here.

1 Like

Crashing right after decrypting the root partition:

Happend to me as well with the 550 driver. System froze while updating packages and had to reinstall the os. Stay on 545 till NVIDIA fixes this.

I had some doubts about whether the issue was NVIDIA-related due to the logs not specifically mentioning the driver or other NVIDIA components, but after uninstalling v550 and installing the open-source Nouveau driver my system has not had any freezes/crashes/other issues for a week

I see the problems are in the newer versions of kernel. On 6.1 LTS 550 drivers on Lenovo Legion 5 works without problems on Nvidia 3060 and Ryzen 7 5800H.

Are you using an external display and gaming on the gpu?

Hello, anyone can test the 550.67 version?

Hi

550.67 did not fix it for me, it crashes kernel in the same way. Switched back to kernel 6.7.10 and driver 545.29.06 and so far it’s running 1 day and 19 hours - absolute record for a long time.

Also, in my case, this can cause oops in some kthread (likely vfs related) or userspace process (like journald for example), but sometimes it causes a kernel panic:

echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/compact_memory

Hello, I don’t understand You. Are You speaking about the first reported bug?

There is a video with the bug for this thread.

Well, I updated the driver and make two test and pacman update packages correctly.

I checked the last version changelog and don’t see some relation with the fix.

I’m going to test during the day and share the results during day.

I tested the new version. I’ve got the same issues as before. I installed AUR nvidia-535 instead → usable.