SFTP root permissions for NVIDIA Jetson nano

Hi,

I haven’t been able to setup the proper permissions in the NVIDIA Jetson Nano, to be able to download, edit and upload back files via SFTP.

Can someone help me or point me out on which steps to follow to be able to be a root SFTP user to have full permissions over nano?

Thank you,

elongo

This is actually the normal behavior for Ubuntu, and won’t differ for a Jetson. What you are seeing is Ubuntu’s demand to use “sudo” rather than having a direct “root” user account. There are complicated ways of using sudo with sftp which you can find on the web, but I found it easier to enable the root account, create ssh keys, disable password login for root (optional), and then just use key access for ssh and sftp.

If you are using Linux to access this, it is trivial. Using something like PuTTY from Windows complicates keys, and I know keys are not too terribly difficult to use from Windows, but you’d be on your own for researching that.

I will then ask, do you want to use keys (are you ok with key-only access)? Is your host PC Linux? The answer will change how I answer.

Thank you for the insights.

Answering your I am working on Windows via Visual Studio Code.
I would appreciate any information on how to accomplish your preferred method:
" enable the root account, create ssh keys, disable password login for root (optional), and then just use key access for ssh and sftp ."

And how is the use of keys to access sftp?

I am able to use root in ssh, but haven"t been able to use SFTP to transfer files to the Jetson Nano.

Thank you

Is it correct that your use of ssh was to a non-root user, and that you cannot ssh to “root”? Is this what you want to be able to do? If you want to unlock the root account and use passwords, then this is fairly easy. Adding an ssh key and disabling remote root access via password isn’t much more difficult on Linux, but might need some research for adding a key to Windows (there is a simple way to add keys for accessing remote systems on Linux, but I think the key needs conversion and custom addition for individual ssh/sftp applications on Windows).

Either way, the instructions start with enabling the root account, adding a password, and then either using the account directly with a password, or using the password to add keys, followed by disabling password access from remote systems.

Ignoring the part about using keys (which is extraordinarily convenient and more secure), but just enabling root, the first step would be:

• Create a password for root:
    sudo passwd
    (note that sudo makes you root, and passwd prompts for your new password)
  • Enable ssh to let root login via password:
    • Edit “/etc/ssh/sshd_config” with your favorite editor.
    • Change the line with “PermitRootLogin” from its old content to this:
      PermitRootLogin yes
      (note that “yes” allows password, “without-password” enables key only, and and anything else would completely prohibit root ssh login)

If you were using going to then use keys, you would generate a key and then use the correct command to copy the key to the root account (not sure of steps on Windows, but trivial on Linux). Following this you’d have the option to disable the root account again for password remote login, but keys would continue to work.

Note that there might be some other minor changes needed which I don’t remember without going through it, so just add a note here if something doesn’t work.

1 Like

Thank you.

I think I just managed to activate the root for SFTP with the sshd_config file.
I appreciate it.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.