Significant Memory leak when streaming from a clients RTSP source

Please provide complete information as applicable to your setup.

• Hardware Platform (Jetson / GPU)
GPU Tesla T4
• DeepStream Version
• JetPack Version (valid for Jetson only)
• TensorRT Version
7.2.2-1
• NVIDIA GPU Driver Version (valid for GPU only)
• Issue Type( questions, new requirements, bugs)
Probably a Bug
So I tried to run inferece on a clients RTSP stream (3 RTSP sources) using the python deepstream-test3. The only change i did was replacing nveglglessink with fakesink. Everything worked fine but then I checked for memory usage using the following command

docker stats <Deepstream-container-name>

I observed that the memory utilzation kept on increasing.
Upon taking logs of the memory utilization i was able to plot the below graph

Here every sample was taken every 5 seconds.

• How to reproduce the issue ? (This is for bugs. Including which sample app is using, the configuration files content, the command line used and other details for reproducing)
This can be reproduced with deepstream-test3 python app
To ensure that this was not an issue related to the model taking up space over time or something to do with python failing in its garbage collection i tried implementing a simple pipeline using the gst-launch-1.0

gst-launch-1.0 \
    uridecodebin uri=<RTSP_source1>! nvvideoconvert nvbuf-memory-type=3 ! "video/x-raw(memory:NVMM),format=RGBA" ! m.sink_0 \
    uridecodebin uri=<RTSP_source2> ! nvvideoconvert nvbuf-memory-type=3 ! "video/x-raw(memory:NVMM),format=RGBA" ! m.sink_1 \
    uridecodebin uri=<RTSP_source3> ! nvvideoconvert nvbuf-memory-type=3 ! "video/x-raw(memory:NVMM),format=RGBA" ! m.sink_2 \
    nvstreammux name=m nvbuf-memory-type=3 width=1280 height=720 batch-size=3 sync-inputs=1 live-source=1 batched-push-timeout=100000 ! queue ! fakesink sync=0

Here was the observation

so clearly there is no issue with the model or python mismanaging the memory.

Further Observation :
I later even tried seeing how the memory increases when running inference on an RTSP source from the local system using ffmpeg (called it synthetic test) . these were the observations

as can bee seen here there is signicficantly less memory leak compared to how it performed from the clients RTSP source.
Although there still is a small amount of memory leak.

The Question is how do i tackle this issue?

P.S.:- similar observations were made in Deepstream-6.0
• Requirement details( This is for new requirement. Including the module name-for which plugin or for which sample application, the function description)

Please update to latest DeepStream 6.0 GA and try whether you can reproduce the memory issue.

So I’ve run the following tests using the container nvcr.io/nvidia/deepstream:6.0-samples
These were the observation

deepstream-test3:
RTSP from client side :

RTSP from local system:

gst-launch:
using the following command

gst-launch-1.0 \
    uridecodebin uri=<RTSP_source1>! nvvideoconvert nvbuf-memory-type=3 ! "video/x-raw(memory:NVMM),format=RGBA" ! m.sink_0 \
    uridecodebin uri=<RTSP_source2> ! nvvideoconvert nvbuf-memory-type=3 ! "video/x-raw(memory:NVMM),format=RGBA" ! m.sink_1 \
    uridecodebin uri=<RTSP_source3> ! nvvideoconvert nvbuf-memory-type=3 ! "video/x-raw(memory:NVMM),format=RGBA" ! m.sink_2 \
    nvstreammux name=m nvbuf-memory-type=3 width=1280 height=720 batch-size=3 sync-inputs=1 live-source=1 batched-push-timeout=100000 ! queue ! fakesink sync=0

RTSP from client side:

Using RTSP from local system:

NOTE: All samples were taken at intervals of 5 seconds

Is there any update? There’s lots of people having memory leaks with rtsp streams.

Any update on this issue ? We are also seeing apparent memory leak issues, using:

nvcr.io/nvidia/deepstream-l4t:6.0-samples

with gstreamer.

@Fiona.Chen

Has there been any update on this issue ? We have seen the same behaviour with DS6, using the “samples” image.

We can reproduce the leak. Will work on it.

Sorry for the late response, Setting rtspsrc drop-on-latency can improve, here is the test report, there is only 6M memory leak after 8 hours.
with_patch_VmRss_8h.txt (720 Bytes)

Hello @Scriobhneoir ,Can you let me know if the above proposal works for your case or not? We may close this topic if above proposal works. Thanks you.

Hi Yingliu,

Just seeing this now, we will check it out.

Please let us know the result once you have, thanks.

Hello @Scriobhneoir This issue has been fixed in the next release, you can switch to the new version once released, thanks.