Software cannot initialize T10P

Hi,

I recently installed TP10P on my computer (32-bit XP). Since this prototype can’t do graphics very well, I also have S3 ViRGE video card just for the graphics. In order to make this work, I had to go into BIOS and adjust some video options so that my computer uses S3 card, not nVidia for the monitor output.

My computer boots fine and I can see both nVidia GT200 and S3 cards under “Device Manager”. I downloaded and installed the latest nVidia driver and Toolkit. I tried to use simpleCUBLAS example from 1.1 distribution to test CUDA performance. I can compile the code fine, but when I run, it I get an error code from cublasInit() function, code 1.

Does anyone have an idea why I cannot initialize CUDA? Can it be something to do with the fact that I have 2 video cards and I had to modify BIOS to make this work?

Thanks,
Sergey

Well, as far as I know, windows does not allow 2 video-card drivers at the same time. Try the devicequery from the SDK to see if your T10P is listed.

That’s why I had to play with BIOS settings.

I tried devicequery and I got the info bellow. Does it look right to you? Looks suspicious. Also, I was under the impression that this prototype cannot do graphics very well. What do you use for the monitor feed?

Thanks,

Sergey

There is 1 device supporting CUDA

Device 0: “Device Emulation (CPU)”

Major revision number: 9999

Minor revision number: 9999

Total amount of global memory: -1 bytes

Total amount of constant memory: 65536 bytes

Total amount of shared memory per block: 16384 bytes

Total number of registers available per block: 8192

Warp size: 1

Maximum number of threads per block: 512

Maximum sizes of each dimension of a block: 512 x 512 x 64

Maximum sizes of each dimension of a grid: 65535 x 65535 x 1

Maximum memory pitch: 262144 bytes

Texture alignment: 256 bytes

Clock rate: 1350000 kilohertz

Test PASSED

Ok,

I pulled the other card out, so now I only have GT200 installed. I changed BIOS setting back to where they were. Computer booted up fine, however, the only resolution available to me is 800 by 600 with 4bit colors. I tried to reinstall drivers, but it did not help. Is this the only resolution available with this prototype?

Thanks,
Sergey

Also,

After doing all this I still get the output bellow as well as CUBLAS initialization error. So, what is next? I have only 1 GT200 card installed and software does not recognize it. Is there a different driver I can try. Right now I have version 6.14.11.7711.

Sergey

Major revision number: 9999
Total amount of constant memory: 65536 bytes
Clock rate: 1350000 kilohertz

Test PASSED

I tried to remove all nVidia software (driver, toolkit STK). After I reboot my computer, it finds new hardware and prompts for the install. If I click cancel, Windows uses default graphics drivers and I get good resolution and colors. If I install the latest nVidia drivers for 32-bit XP and reboot, the only resolution I get is 800 by 600 with 4 bit colors. No idea what to try next.

One thing though, the driver I downloaded says 32-bit Windows in the name, but lists Linux in the OS. Not sure why, probably a typo.

Thanks,
Sergey

You should be using driver 177.11, and the 2.0 beta toolkit from 05/07, you can find it on the page after you logged in.

When I used an older driver by mistake (than 177.10, I am on Linux), I also only saw device emulation listed. I have a T10P without a graphical output, so I have a 8800GTX doing my graphics…

But when devicequery is showing you this, you are not using the T10P for sure.

Well,

I removed everything nVidia related and did a clean install (driver+ toolkit), making sure it’s version 177.11 from 05/07. At this time, I only have 1 video card installed on my computer (T10P). My monitor is connected to it. I run XP Professional 2002 SP2.

After the install, the only resolution available is 800x600 with 4 bit colors. My computer recognizes GT200, and all the drivers are of proper date/version. When I run devidequery, I get the same output as before, nothing changed.

So, my screen looks horrible and nothing works :(. I am out of ideas.

In Windows, you need to be sure to have the accelerator tab in the control panel halfway through (Disable all Direct3d and DirectDraw) otherwise
CUDA will not see the card. It cannot be set at full acceleration because your card has 3D disabled.

That did not help. I moved “Hardware Acceleration” bar into the middle position (Disable all Direct3d and DirectDraw) and rebooted the computer, but nothing changed. 800 x 600 is still the only resolution I get and I get this from devicequery

Is this normal to have 800x600 resolution only with 4 bit colors? I added couple of screen shots showing the Windows recognizes the card

Sergey

Major revision number: 65536

Total amount of constant memory: 1350000 bytes

Clock rate: 9999 kilohertz

Test PASSED

Make sure that the T10P board is installed in PCIE slot 0 and your graphics card in PCIE slot 1. Then activate the T10P board as primary video card in the BIOS.

The control panel should show -1 -1 as screen resolution for the T10P.

Good luck!

At this point T10P is the only video card installed. Also, this prototype is so thick it blocks the only other PCIE slot I have.

Got the problem fixed by installing a new T10P card. I guess the original card was defective. Everything works fine if I use 177_03 drivers for 32-bit XP. 177_11 drivers still have resolution problem. Case closed.