[Solved]Cusparse illegal memory access unless I increase the size of the matrices for large matrices

Stackoverflow pointed out the solution http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24932784/cusparse-illegal-memory-access-unless-i-increase-the-sparsity-of-the-sparse-matr/24938396#24938396

I am trying to make an existing piece of software that uses hand tuned sparse multiplication of special CSC matrices that have exactly k nonzero elements per column. I decided to use cusparse for the job, but unfortunately I encounter that the matrix multiplication takes over 7 seconds in some cases, which is much slower than the CPU version of the code. (largest sparse matrix concerned is 19871x1000 largest dense matrix concerned is 1000*150, nnz = 101000).

When trying to reproduce the problem in a self contained example, I always encounter an “illegal memory access error” when nnz != sparse_cols.

After some investigation turns out that if I increase the size of matrices 10fold the problem disappears. If I make the matrices small enough I don’t experience crashes. However with large matrices the sparse matrix has to not cross over some degree of denseness, otherwise multiplication produces a bunch of illegal memory accesses.

#include <cuda.h>
#include <cusparse.h>
#include <iostream>
#include <stdlib.h> 

#define CALL_CUDA( err ) \
{ if (err != cudaSuccess) \
    {std::cout<<"cuda Error "<< cudaGetErrorString(err)<<" in "<<__FILE__<<" at line "<<__LINE__<<"\n"; exit(EXIT_FAILURE); }\
}

int main(){

//cusparse status and handle
    cusparseStatus_t status; 
    cusparseHandle_t handle = 0;
    status = cusparseCreate(&handle);

if (status != CUSPARSE_STATUS_SUCCESS){
        std::cout << "Error creating handle: " << status << std::endl;
    }

//Set matrix description
    cusparseMatDescr_t descr; //Describe the matrices
    cusparseCreateMatDescr(&descr);
    cusparseSetMatType(descr, CUSPARSE_MATRIX_TYPE_GENERAL);
    cusparseSetMatIndexBase(descr, CUSPARSE_INDEX_BASE_ZERO);

//Sparse matrix properties
    int sparse_rows = 19871;
    int sparse_cols = 1000;
    int nnz_new = 101000;
    //int nnz_new = 1000; //Works with that value

//Dense matrix properties
    int bmat_rows = 1000;
    int bmat_cols = 150;

//Generate a special type of sparse matrix that has exactly k nonzero elements in each column in CSC format
    float * amat_vals;
    CALL_CUDA(cudaMallocHost((void **)&amat_vals, nnz_new*sizeof(float)));
    int * amat_idx;
    CALL_CUDA(cudaMallocHost((void **)&amat_idx, nnz_new*sizeof(int)));
    int * crccolptr;
    CALL_CUDA(cudaMallocHost((void **)&crccolptr, (sparse_cols+1)*sizeof(int)));

//Fill in values with random values
    for (int i = 0; i < nnz_new; i++){
        amat_vals[i] = (float)rand()/(float)RAND_MAX;
    }

//Generate indexes for those rows
    for (int i = 0; i < nnz_new; i++){
        amat_idx[i] = rand() % (sparse_rows - 1);
    }

//generate crccolptr
    int k = (int)(nnz_new/sparse_cols); //Number of elements per row
    for (int i = 0; i < sparse_cols; i++){
        crccolptr[i] = k*i;
    }
        crccolptr[sparse_cols] = nnz_new;

//Generate bmat_array with random floats
    float * bmat_array;
    CALL_CUDA(cudaMallocHost((void **)&bmat_array, bmat_rows*bmat_cols*sizeof(float))); 
    for (int i = 0; i < bmat_rows*bmat_cols; i++){
        bmat_array[i] = (float)rand()/(float)RAND_MAX;
    }

//generate array for output
    float * outmatrix_test;
    CALL_CUDA(cudaMallocHost((void **)&outmatrix_test, sparse_rows*bmat_cols*sizeof(float)));

//Allocate and copy device memory for sparse matrix
    float * cudavals;
    int * colIdx;
    int * colPtr;

CALL_CUDA(cudaMalloc((void **)&colPtr, (sparse_cols + 1)*sizeof(int)));
    CALL_CUDA(cudaMemcpy(colPtr, crccolptr, (sparse_cols + 1)*sizeof(int), cudaMemcpyHostToDevice));

CALL_CUDA(cudaMalloc((void **)&cudavals, nnz_new*sizeof(float)));
    CALL_CUDA(cudaMalloc((void **)&colIdx, nnz_new*sizeof(int)));

CALL_CUDA(cudaMemcpy(cudavals, amat_vals, nnz_new*sizeof(float), cudaMemcpyHostToDevice));
    CALL_CUDA(cudaMemcpy(colIdx, amat_idx, nnz_new*sizeof(int), cudaMemcpyHostToDevice));

//Allocate and copy device memory for dense matrix
    float * B_gpumatrix;
    CALL_CUDA(cudaMalloc((void **)&B_gpumatrix, bmat_rows*bmat_cols*sizeof(float)));
    CALL_CUDA(cudaMemcpy(B_gpumatrix, bmat_array, bmat_rows*bmat_cols*sizeof(float), cudaMemcpyHostToDevice));

//Allocate output matrix
    float * outmatrix_gpu; 
    CALL_CUDA(cudaMalloc((void **)&outmatrix_gpu, (sparse_rows*bmat_cols)*sizeof(float)));

//sparse_cols is passed as sparse_rows, because we're multiplying a CSC matrix instead of a CSR so we need
    // to transpose it and invert the rows and columns.
    const float alpha = 1.0;
    const float beta = 0.0;

/*
    float * outmatrix_gpu2; 
    CALL_CUDA(cudaMalloc((void **)&outmatrix_gpu2, (sparse_rows*sparse_cols)*sizeof(float)));
    cusparseStatus_t mat_mul = cusparseScsc2dense(handle, sparse_rows, sparse_cols, descr, cudavals, colIdx, colPtr, outmatrix_gpu2, sparse_rows);
    float * outmatrix_test2;
    CALL_CUDA(cudaMallocHost((void **)&outmatrix_test2, sparse_rows*sparse_cols*sizeof(float)));
    CALL_CUDA(cudaMemcpy(outmatrix_test2, outmatrix_gpu2, (sparse_rows*sparse_cols)*sizeof(float), cudaMemcpyDeviceToHost));
*/
    cusparseStatus_t mat_mul = cusparseScsrmm(handle,  //Cusparse handle
     CUSPARSE_OPERATION_TRANSPOSE, //Transposing the matrix
     sparse_cols, //Number of sparse rows. Since we're using CSC matrix it's the columns.
     bmat_cols,   //Number of columns of the dense matrix
     sparse_rows, //Number of sparse cols, Since we're using CSC matrix it's the rows
     nnz_new,     //Non zero elements
     &alpha,      //Pointer to alpha (1.0)
     descr,       //Description of the matrix
     cudavals,    //The values vector
     colPtr,      //The column pointer
     colIdx,      //The indexes of the sparse matrix
     B_gpumatrix, //Dense matrix array
     bmat_rows,   //ldb - the rows of the dense matrix
     &beta,       //Pointer to beta. It's 0
     outmatrix_gpu, //Pointer to the output matrix
     sparse_rows); //ldc - leading dimensions of the output matrix.

if (mat_mul != CUSPARSE_STATUS_SUCCESS){
        std::cout << "MULTIPLICATION ERROR: " << mat_mul << std::endl;
    }
    cudaThreadSynchronize(); //Syncs before copy back to memory should not be necessary
    cudaDeviceSynchronize();

//Copy matrix back to host
    CALL_CUDA(cudaMemcpy(outmatrix_test, outmatrix_gpu, (sparse_rows*bmat_cols)*sizeof(float), cudaMemcpyDeviceToHost));

CALL_CUDA(cudaFree(outmatrix_gpu));
    CALL_CUDA(cudaFree(cudavals));
    CALL_CUDA(cudaFree(colPtr));
    CALL_CUDA(cudaFree(colIdx));
    CALL_CUDA(cudaFree(B_gpumatrix));
    CALL_CUDA(cudaFreeHost(crccolptr));
    CALL_CUDA(cudaFreeHost(amat_vals));
    CALL_CUDA(cudaFreeHost(amat_idx));
    CALL_CUDA(cudaFreeHost(bmat_array));
    CALL_CUDA(cudaFreeHost(outmatrix_test));

return 1;
}

I believe i am generating a valid sparse matrix, because I can convert it to dense one using the appropriate cusparse function (lines 105 - 112) without triggering any invalid memory accesses.

If I uncomment line 32 and comment line 33 the code runs just fine. The block between 105 and 112 runs fine regardless of nnz.

When running the above code under cuda-memcheck you can see many illegal accesses from within the cusparseScsrmm. Running without cuda-memcheck you would see an error in the first cuda operation after the matrix multiplication.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong? I hope that if I can solve this problem, I would be able to diagnoze (or at least isolate) a self contained example that exhibits the painfully slow matrix multiplications.

EDIT:

Using smaller matrices I don’t experience the problem.
sparse matrix with 50200 works fine for NNZ until about 1000, but takes forever with NNZ = 5000 (I killed it after half a minute). Increasing matrix size to 200500 works performs instantaneously with NNZ = 5000… Strange

EDIT2:
Basically if I increase the size of the sparse and dense matrices by 10 times the problem disappears. I appear to have a problem multiplying large, relatively densely populated sparse matrices with large dense matrices.