(SOLVED) resume from suspend not working with 980 Ti, drivers 352 - 370, kernels 3.16 - 4.4

@aplattner

Thank you!

@spam bot

That’s not how you make new friends ;-)

Thank you Aaron for looking into, illuminating and correcting this matter in a timely manner.

Such diligence may be a reflection of the underpinnings of why I’ve found nVidia’s drivers for GNU/Linux to have been near perfect in their functionality for the past eight years that I’ve used them on hardware ranging from the GeForce 6200 to my current GPU.

John

Team Green FTW!

My system has now been running for a week with at least 20 successful suspend / resumes and only one fail. That fail looked different in the logs the fails I’ve been troubleshooting here so I don’t think it is related.

I think I can safely say that the problem is gone celebration
I’m a bit bothered by the fact that I don’t know for sure what caused it.
Tinkering with kernel parameters did not help as naanoo thinks it did in his case.
Resetting CMOS did not help.
Purging nvidia / CUDA from the system may have helped.
Physically removing and reinstalling the card may have helped.

Now running Linux Mint 18 with kernel 4.4.0-47 and nvidia driver 370.28 and everything is fine.

I will now install CUDA and hope the problem does not reappear.

How did you install that newer-than-stock nVidia driver in Linux Mint 18?
(LM 18’s Driver Manager only offered me nVidia 367.57 prior to my adding the following official ppa.)

The hard way…

Drivers | GeForce
http://www.geforce.com/drivers

…or the easy (and perhaps more compatible) way via Driver Manager?
(I’ve been using the following Canonical Group ppa for over a year with zero problems.)

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
sudo apt-get update

August 13, 2015
Ubuntu Now Has An Official PPA For Graphics Drivers
http://itsfoss.com/ubuntu-official-ppa-graphics/#more-8094

Proprietary GPU Drivers : “Graphics Drivers Team” team
https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

Plan B:

nVidia 375.20 was released recently (it’s available via the ppa) and it has a long list of fixes and has been running flawlessly on my rig under 64-bit Linux Mint 17.3 MATE and 64-bit Linux Mint 18 MATE for about two days now.

Version 375.20
Release Date Fri Nov 18, 2016
Operating System Linux 64-bit
Language English (US)
File Size 72.37 MB

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/111596

Edit. So much for Plan B:

Problems with multiple OpenGL applications running simultaneously with 375.20 on a GTX970 - NVIDIA Developer Forums
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/977518/linux/problems-with-multiple-opengl-applications-running-simultaneously-with-375-20-on-a-gtx970/

Just to give an update: One week without failing resume!

I suspend/resume about 10-20 times a day.

possible reasons:

• command line options (see earlier postings)
  • deinstalled CUDA
  • serveral Arch Updates (Kernel, several libraries related to display stuff)

my guess: kernel command line options

For me it’s better to have a working system and not to know the exact reason for the problems as the other way round ;-)

For the driver selection, I’m using the ubuntu ppa:

ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa

Not sure if this can have conflicted with CUDA, but I have had this problem since I built the system a year ago and believe I started with only the official proprietary driver (no ppa) and CUDA.

As naanoo says, I’m satisfied with not having the problem. I’m just worried that it might come back if I don’t understand it ;-)

'm just worried that it might come back if I don’t understand it ;-)

Me too! But time will help to forget ;-)

… and as an Arch-User I am pretty sure, there are new problems, to focus on.

Maybe I will give Fedora a shot, when I do my next install. At least as an always bootable alternative.

Fedora is my distro of choice. Part because I enjoy Gnome 3, part because it is set up for development right off the bat, and part because people in the forums actually know what they are writing about. That last part is a blessing.

Mint is for my 4 year old daughter who shares this computer with me ;-)

BUT, I had the same / similar suspend / resume issues with Fedora, and I think CUDA was installed at the time.

I’m also a Gnome/GTK-Fan. My son has his second birthday in december. But he is already very interested in tech items. I think he will grow up as a Linux kid ;-)

My daughter got her first Mint laptop when she was 2, and that is my answer when people ask me if Linux is hard to use ;-)

Linux seeding ;-)

Log your trouble-shooting steps in a text file for future reference.

Re Linux Mint’s ease-of-use.

As someone who started out on 68k Macs, I concur–which is why I use 'Mint. I won’t tolerate the temporal thievery resulting from superfluous complexity in the operation of a PC. To me a computer is a tool and a servant and thus must be reliable, as maintenance-free as possible, simple to use and functionally worthy of my dwindling time.

I can get my fill of brain-strain elsewhere by employing a trusty PC to aid me in wrapping my head around issues like studying (via credible sources) the causes & course of the Credit Default Swap, Collateralized Debt Obligation and Synthetic Collateralized Debt Obligation-driven sub-prime derivatives bubble that resulted in the crash of '08 with its theft of some 20 million jobs and $60 Trillion (and counting) world-wide and how said bubble has since morphed (‘Bespoke Tranche Opportunity’) and expanded unchecked to where it’s now > 10 x the global GDP.

Revelations like this ^ and much more would be unattainable to me if my computer ran like a train wreck (see forums.geforce.com) and forced me to plow through endless forum threads in search of a ‘fix’ of PC stability (been there, done that).

I just did, here :-)

True. However I was thinking in terms of a condensed point-by-point list which could be conveniently accessed off-line if need be. I habitually type up such how-tos for my own sake as a future time saver and for the possible benefit of others. But then I am only in a position to determine how to best prioritize my time.

Hopefully a future OS / kernel / linux-firmware update will permanently resolve the resume from suspend issue which currently bedevils DDR4-era Intel hardware.

No solution posted here helped my PC :(

Now installed CUDA 8.0

It has passed many suspend / resume cycles without problems.

There has been a few occasional resume crashes, but with different symptoms than the one described in this thread, and their frequency is more weekly, which is a lot better.

Not a single resume crash here since mid november.

But still without CUDA ;-)