Sound propagation modelling

Hi

I’m fairly new to Optix and ray tracing generally, but am intrigued by the concept of using Optix for very accurate sound propagation modelling as indicated in the product description. Current CPU based techniques tend to give up after a couple of fairly basic reflections, and I am wondering what the prospects for very detailed modelling are. I am primarily interested in accurate acoustic reproduction/simulation of large complex spaces that can be defined for the purpose of generating impulse responses for reverberation simulation. Aspects such as refraction (due to different air temperates throughout a large volume), diffraction round objects, and reflection/absorption/diffusion when striking walls/objects of differing materials could get fairly complex (basic principles here), but may be within scope for modern GPUs or perhaps farms of GPUs.

I’m not finding much online about this, so wondered if anybody knew of people successfully using this (or another) framework to do it, or if anybody would be suitably interested in looking into this.

Matt

I know the gamma group at UNC does work in sound propagation. In particular, this paper was implemented with OptiX: http://gamma.cs.unc.edu/CATR/part.pdf

This is probably a good place to start looking: Sound Synthesis and Propagation - GAMMA UNC