Specific Features

I would like to know if the Jetson dev board supports HDMI CEC and HDMI Passthrough (AC3 at least). Finally, does it run well with the open source Nouveau driver?

I intend to use this as a media center running XBMC.

Also are there any recommendations for enclosures to put it in?

Thank you.

I don’t know about HDMI CEC or passthrough. Is there an easy way to check those?

If you want to use the open source Nouveau driver, then you need to go 100% open source. It’s still mostly experimental and some peripherals don’t work yet, nor do the power management. And there is no open source video acceleration at all.

So sticking with closed source L4T is still recommended, especially for video use cases.

I haven’t seen any “proper” case for Jetson. Some mentioned here: [url]http://elinux.org/Jetson/Enclosures[/url].

Did you check the sticky XBMC thread? I guess that thread could have been good place for this post as well.

For Kodi/XBMC use case, you may want to replace the noisy fan with something passive, check [url]Jetson Tk1 Temperature - Jetson TK1 - NVIDIA Developer Forums

Iv been looking at CEC but i cant find a working implementation of the tegra-cec driver on a available device.

BUT

The pass-through audio works well in XBMC / Kodi if you stop pulseaudio before launching XBMC / Kodi to allow access to the ALSA device (see the link below for info of starting an XBMC session with full pass-through over HDMI). I have tested this with a couple of 5.1 AVR’s :)

Hope this helps :)

Also i’m 99% the CEC pin is connected on the jetson as there are sections relating to the cec pin configuration in kernel DTS, we just need to activate the tegra-cec platform device to test it properly.

We also need a userspace implementation to communicate with the driver (i’m not 100% sure that libcec supports tegra h/w)

Concerning pulseaudio and HDMI passthrough, have you tried the steps here: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=PulseAudio#Passthrough_Mode

I use that method to get passtgrough on my laptop since it runs pulse.

Thanks for the info, looks like I’m gonna have to just wait for the features to pop up. Though honestly, thinking about it, using this board for only xbmc would be a bit overkill. Just seems like nvidia is trying to get this board better supported under Linux than most single board manufacturers are. But it seems that nobody has every feature desirable for an ARM xbmc box yet. The closest I’ve found is cubox-i, but reliability is terrible, development is slow (even for FOSS), and the GPU is vivante so the graphics stack is closed and the devs have to work around its quirks.

With nvidia (somewhat) officially supporting the nouveau efforts prior to the TK1 release, I figured TK1 would at least have decent acceleration under nouveau.

I’d go with an Intel NUC, but I’m honestly too intrigued by ARM and how Intel is pulling their hair out trying to match its power/performance ratio.

Would you like to list “every feature desirable”? I would be interested to know what all people are looking for and what the state of those features are on Jetson.

I wouldn’t say ‘All People’, but I figured the desired features were self explanatory as I had already asked about said features:
• HDMI CEC support
• HDMI Digital Audio Passthrough
• GPU that supports accelerated frame buffer (for xbmc without X11)

Of course, reliability is desired, but not so much a feature.

Now obviously not everyone uses cec due to its latency or the fact that it’s generally a broken standard with a few manufacturers; or maybe KB, mouse, or ir are preferred. Same with passthrough, not everyone uses it for lack of a receiver, desire to process audio before it leaves the box, or a case I had once was using Bluetooth audio. Finally, not everyone runs xbmc outside of X or cares about FOSS drivers. However, the vast majority of people wanting a box for just xbmc/kodi desire these features or a combination of them.

A problem that I have personally is that I look to devboards as they are extremely easy to customize. HTPC is not one of the use cases that is thought of when a manufacturer designs a devboard though, making the overlap of devboard and supported features rather small.