SSD boot time issues

I thought I had a thread on this, but can’t find it.

It turns out if I have an SSD connected to the SATA header with a linux ext4 partition on it, the system won’t boot. The LEDs turn green, stay green for some seconds, then turn back off.

Anyway to work around this?

I need to use the SSD for data output storage.

That’s really weird. Are you using the included power supply? It might be a power draw issue. Another possibility is that the boot flag https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boot_flag on the disk is active. Have you ever used the drive to install an operating system? The boot flag might be confusing UBOOT.

The part about LEDs turning back off is even more odd. FYI, it might be a good idea to mention the exact SSD model…in the past many SSD issues have been specific to particular models. In addition to what @AlexP312 mentioned, you might even see what happens if the SSD has power connected but data cable is not connected…see if perhaps it is a pure power issue.

I’m using the supply that came with the system.

I got it to boot by removing the the ext4 partition.

I verified the drive works by running hdparm -tT on it:

root@tegra-ubuntu:~# hdparm -tT /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
Timing cached reads: 3978 MB in 2.00 seconds = 1991.38 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 764 MB in 3.00 seconds = 254.54 MB/sec
root@tegra-ubuntu:~#

I copied the whole of the /home/ubuntu folder on to it and it worked perfectly. (2.2 Gigs)

Here’s the drive info:

root@tegra-ubuntu:/mnt/ssd# smartctl -i /dev/sda
smartctl 6.2 2013-07-26 r3841 [aarch64-linux-3.10.67-g458d45c] (local build)
Copyright © 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family: Crucial/Micron RealSSD m4/C400/P400
Device Model: M4-CT256M4SSD3
Serial Number: 00000000124103769790
LU WWN Device Id: 5 00a075 103769790
Firmware Version: 07MH
User Capacity: 256,060,514,304 bytes [256 GB]
Sector Size: 512 bytes logical/physical
Rotation Rate: Solid State Device
Device is: In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is: ACS-2, ATA8-ACS T13/1699-D revision 6
SATA Version is: SATA 3.0, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 3.0 Gb/s)
Local Time is: Wed Apr 20 17:53:44 2016 PDT
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

It is odd because it’s an MSATA device plugged into a regular SATA converter board, but it has worked for me like this in all other cases.

I’m going to reboot now and verify that with the ext4 partition, it won’t boot anymore.

Well. It’s working now.

I’m not sure what the difference is. When I had problems with it booting previously, it was after the deadlocks. So maybe it was a heat issue? I let it cool down and could not get it to boot until I removed the SSD. At least that’s how it seemed.

It’s clear I’m fighting more than one issue at a time. These things always fall out over time. I’ve ordered the serial port cable from Amazon and will get it working when it arrives. Hopefully that will lend some clues as to what’s going on.

Thanks.

There could be the boot flag issues @AlexP312 mentioned. If heat was related consider that operations which cause heat in an SSD also cause more power draw; there could be a combination of heat/power issues interacting with each other.

Thanks. I checked. There was no boot flag set. It’s working now.

If it fails again…

...I'll be back.