Steam Client PC App's "Big Picture", "About", etc windows crash in nvoglv32.dll (GPU GeForce RTX 3080 driver version 551.76)

I am running the Steam Client PC App on my PC with a GPU GeForce RTX 3080 (driver version 551.76), latest install of Steam.

Whenever I try to open the “Big Picture”, “System Information”, “About Steam”, or “View Controller Settings” windows in the Steam Client, I get a crash. Steam crash dumps (stored in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\dumps) show that the crash happens with some code running in nvoglv32.dll.

I contacted Steam support. They replied to me:

“We have since completed investigation of the crash dump you have provided. What we found was that the crash is happening in the nvoglv32.dll on your computer. This is a library that belongs to Nvidia. Likely, the .dll is corrupted or out of date. We recommend updating or reinstalling the latest stable version of your Nvidia drivers and then retesting.”

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Nvidia drivers as well as the Steam client several times. This did not solve the issue, I still get crashes when trying to open these windows, and get crash dumps generated by the Steam client app.

What course of action could we take to solve this issue?

Hello,

Welcome to the NVIDIA Developer forums. This community serves the developer ecosystem.

For consumer issues, please visit the GeForce forums.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/geforce-graphics-cards/5/

Best regards.

Thanks for the link Markus, I posted there instead:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/geforce-graphics-cards/5/539041/steam-client-pc-apps-big-picture-about-etc-windows/

Best regards.

If you have the issue that you’re experiencing with the Steam Client PC App crashing in nvoglv32.dll, particularly when accessing features like “Big Picture” and “About”. We understand how frustrating it can be when such problems occur, but rest assured, we’re here to help you resolve it.

After carefully reviewing your concern, it appears that this issue might be related to compatibility or driver conflicts with your GPU, the GeForce RTX 308****0, particularly with driver version 551.76.

To troubleshoot and resolve this issue, please follow these steps:

1. Update Graphics Drivers: Start by ensuring that your GPU drivers are up-to-date. Navigate to the official NVIDIA website and download the latest drivers compatible with your GeForceRTX3080 Installing the latest drivers often resolves compatibility issues and improves system stability.
  2. Verify Steam Files: Sometimes, corrupted or missing files within the Steam client can lead to crashes. To address this, open Steam, navigate to your Library, right-click on “Steam Client Bootstrapper”, select “Properties”, go to the “Local Files” tab, and click on “Verify Integrity of Game Files”. This process will check for any missing or corrupted files and automatically repair them.
  3. Disable Steam Overlay: The Steam Overlay feature can sometimes conflict with certain GPU drivers, leading to crashes. Temporarily disable the Steam Overlay to the Steam settings, navigating to the “In-Game” tab, and unchecking the box next to “Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game”.
  4. Adjust Graphics Settings: If the issue persists, try adjusting the graphics settings within the Steam client. Lowering the graphics settings can reduce the strain on your GPU and potentially alleviate the crashing issue.
  5. Check for System Updates: Ensure that your operating system is fully updated with the latest patches and fixes. Sometimes, system updates address compatibility issues with certain hardware components.
  6. Contact Support: If none of the above steps resolve the issue, please don’t hesitate to contact Steam Support for further assistance. They have dedicated support personnel who can provide personalized guidance and troubleshooting steps based on your specific setup.

We hope that these steps help resolve the issue you’re facing with the Steam Client PC App crashing in nvoglv32.dll. Should you require any further assistance or have additional questions, please feel free to reach out to us. We’re committed to ensuring that you have a seamless experience with our products.