Steam Source 1 games freeze in fullscreen mode with GeForce GT 240 and 310.14 drivers

This bug occurs with the Steam games Counter-Strike: Source and Team Fortress 2.

These games will freeze randomly during gameplay; the image will halt, the audio will skip, and the game will become unresponsive. The program must be killed to exit.

Although it was previously thought that this occurred exclusively in fullscreen mode, this has since been proven incorrect. It occurs both in fullscreen and in windowed mode.

This does not occur with any other Steam games.

The issue was taken up with Valve’s community for Source 1 Game bugs, until being identified as an nVidia 310.14 driver problem. It can be viewed here:
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Source-1-Games/issues/151

Thank you for your assistance.

System information:
nVidia GeForce GT 240 1GB GDDR5
nVidia 310.14 experimental drivers
Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 32-bit
Unity desktop environment

P.S. Forgive me for not including the nvidia-bug-report.log.gz file. Unfortunately, typing ‘startx – -logverbose 6’ into a terminal window returns this:

X: user not authorized to run the X server, aborting.
XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0"
      after 7 requests (7 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

I was afraid to try again using sudo, for fear of altering something irreparably on my system.
Is there a less intrusive way of generating the log?

I have this freezing with Counter Strike: Source too.

System information:
nVidia GeForce GT640 2GB DDR3
nVidia 313.18 beta drivers
Ubuntu 12.10 64bit
Unity desktop environment

You can run nvidia-bug-report.sh without running startx – -logverbose 6 first, it just doesn’t provide quite as much detailed information. In this case, it probably doesn’t make a difference.

Is your system stable otherwise? Have you seen freezes in other 3D applications besides Source engine games?

Here is a link to the log.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54692497/nvidia-bug-report.log.gz

(I tried appending it here, but got the popup: ‘File has an invalid extension, it should be one of jpg, jpeg, gif, tif, tiff, png, bmp, jps.’)

My system is stable otherwise. I haven’t seen freezes in any other 3D application besides Source engine games.

*Correction: This is odd, but I just had a ‘similar’ freeze happen in another 3D game (this is a few hours later). This hasn’t occurred before, and the nature of it wasn’t quite the same. It was in the game Killing Floor. It may have also had something to do with the server I was on. I’ve updated my nVidia bug report.

Thank you for your attention on this. Please let me know if I can provide anything else to help.

Dropbox is blocked by our firewall, so I can’t download your file from there. Due to a bug in the forums, you’ll have to rename the file to one of those extensions (e.g. mv nvidia-bug-report.log.gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz.jpg) before attaching it.

I also had these random freezes in Counter-Strike: Source. Today I’ve updated the nvidia package to version 313.26 and now the freezing seems to be gone (I’ve played about half an hour). Maybe this will work for you too.

System information:
nVidia GeForce GTX260
nVidia 313.26 drivers
Arch Linux 64bit
kernel 3.7.10
LXDE desktop environment

Having the same issue with Team Fortress 2 on Gentoo, game crashes quite regularly with nvidia-glcore in the backtrace. Turning off multi-core rendering in TF2 options seems to make the crashes go away, at the expense of frame rate.

System:
nVidia GeForce GTX570
nvidia-drivers 313.26
Gentoo Linux ~amd64
kernel 3.8.2
GNOME 3

Hi aplattner,
Sorry I didn’t respond sooner to your message. Unfortunately I accidentally broke something on my CPU when cleaning it this weekend, and now I’m without a computer. (Writing this from a relative’s tablet.) I’ll have to see if I can download the log from my Dropbox, and upload it here in the way you describe. Again, sorry about the delays in assisting you with this.

Okay I’ve now attached the log file to the initial post with the suffix .jpg, from a relative’s computer. Let me know if it doesn’t work for some reason.

Internally filed bug 1253708 to track this issue

Looks this apparently fixed the hang for the user “meinz”. Can please you test with latest drivers 313.30 and 319.12 ?