Stuck with 450 Server Driver on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

So I’ve spent a good amount of hours trying to use different drivers through the Ubuntu “additional drivers” GUI with no real success. If I try to install any other driver besides 450 server, my laptop gets stuck at the manufacturer splash screen and I need to boot into grub advanced boot menu and select “Ubuntu with Linux 5.13.0-28-generic” to be able to boot to my desktop. If I do this with the latest 510 drivers, using the nvidia-smi command in terminal won’t detect my GPU at all. If I do this with the 470 drivers, it detects my card and I can even open the nvidia app and see all the details successfully, however, if I reboot I need to go through grub advanced boot again or my laptop gets stuck as previously mentioned. Does anyone know why this might happen or have any suggestions on how I can run a newer driver? My laptop has a GTX 1650 max-q. Appreciate any help with this.

Please run nvidia-bug-report.sh as root and attach the resulting nvidia-bug-report.log.gz file to your post.

1 Like

Hello @generix , thanks for replying to my post. I’ve run the command and attached to result to this post. I haven’t attempted to install any new drivers since I made this post, decided to revert to 450 for now as I’ve spent a lot of time trying to figure this out. Please let me know if there’s anything else you need and thanks again!

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (293.7 KB)

Please reinstall the 470 driver and remove “quiet splash” from the grub cmdline. After reboot, if the Xserver doesn’t come up, please check if the screen is flashing and wait for 2 minutes for the console login to appear. If it appears, log in and create a new nvidia-bug-report.log. If it doesn’t, please reboot to the -28 kernel, then create a log from the last boot using
sudo journalctl -b-1 >journal.txt
and attach that

1 Like

Hello @generix. Sorry for the late reply, I’ve been busy. So I installed the 470 drivers and removed “quiet splash” but the laptop wouldn’t boot at all after that. I ended up restarting with the -28 kernel and for some reason, it didn’t detect the nvidia card at all this time (even though the gpu light on my laptop was orange, meaning on), but at this point I made a log called “journal.txt”. I rebooted and decided to try installing the newest 510 drivers. I rebooted and used the -28 kernel in the advanced grub screen and was able to boot to desktop. At the desktop, my GPU was detected and the NVidia XServer was showing my GPU and updated 510 driver. At this point I made a new nvidia log and a journal log called “journal2”. Unfortunately, after reboot I still got stuck at the splash screen so I reverted back to 450 for now since it’s the only driver that I can boot with the -30 kernel. I’ve attached the logs to this post, I appreciate your help!

Journal.txt → Post install 470 driver, -28 kernel (GPU light ON but nvidia-smi fails)
Journal2.txt → Post install 510 driver, -28 kernel (GPU light ON, nvidia-smi detects driver)
Nvidia Log → Post install 510 driver, -28 kernel (GPU detected)
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (331.0 KB)
journal2.txt (556.1 KB)
journal.txt (556.1 KB)

Unfortunately, you seem to have used the wrong parameter to create the logs
sudo journalctl -b-1 >journal.txt

the -b option is for selecting the boot
-b0 means current boot,
-b-1 means previous boot
-b-2 means boot before the previous boot, etc.
you seem to have used -b1 which means first recorded boot, which is from january,31st.
If you can recall how many times you rebooted, you can still create the log without installing/uninstalling drivers. Just look at the head of the log, there the used kernel version will appear.

1 Like

Hi @generix. Sorry about that, had a long day when I did that. So this morning I started off by installing the 510 drivers and rebooting to the -28 kernel using grub. It booted to my desktop however, nvidia-smi spit out the message that it couldn’t communication with the NVIDIA driver. I then installed the 470 driver and booted to my desktop using the -28 kernel. The nvidia-smi command sent the proper output this time so I ran the command sudo journalctl -b-1 >journal.txt to create the log and attached it to this post. It seems like for whatever reason, the nvidia driver doesn’t like the -30 kernel. I can successfully boot with the non-recovery -28 kernel just fine but I’d have to select that from advanced boot every time. Anyways, thanks for you help, let me know if there is anything else you’d like me to do.
journal.txt (506.9 KB)

Ok, so I seemed to have made some progress. I tried installing latest drivers using “ubuntu-drivers install” and got this output:

“The following packages have unmet dependencies:
nvidia-driver-510 : Depends: nvidia-kernel-source-510 (= 510.47.03-0ubuntu0.20.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.”

I’ll have to investigate.

Please post the output of
dpkg -l |grep nvidia
there are often sub-packages from older drivers blocking the install of a newer driver.

1 Like

Hello @generix, I’ve attached the output to this message. Thanks again!!
output.txt (5.4 KB)

Looks correct, I guess you’ll have to purge the 450-server driver first.

1 Like

Hello @generix. I purged 450 and installed 510 but had the same issue, can only boot with -28 kernel. I appreciate your help but I think I’m going to give up at this point. I don’t play games or really do anything too graphically intensive on this laptop so I guess I’ll just live with drivers from 2020. Thanks anyways!