Success creating a copy of Nano SD card

I just got a Nano and my first job has been configuring Ubuntu the way I like (changing the desktop in particular) and getting VNC to work. This has actually taken a few days. I’m used to Raspberry Pi’s where everything is slower (CPU-wise) but more familiar. Anyway, I wanted to make a copy of the micro-SD card with my all my work on it, before I start making really big software additions that might screw things up. There are a few posts here about copying the SD card, but the info is diffuse. The partitions on the card threw me a few curves but I finally got it to work. In fact I’m writing this using the Nano and a card that’s a copy of my main card. For anyone who wants to make a copy here’s what I did:

1. I used a linux computer (Linux Mint) for the steps.
  2. I used dd, i.e. “sudo dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=~/jetson4-29.img bs=4096 status=progress”. NOTE mmcblk0 may be different on your machine
  3. Then to create the card that is a copy: “sudo dd if=~/jetson4-29.img of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=4096 status=progress.”
  4. I used a 32GB card for both the original and copy.
  5. The bs=4096 may or may not matter, and having read and write the same size may or may not matter, but did work for me.
  6. Note that you’re doing mmcblk0 not mmcblk0p1.
  7. PLEASE DON’T mess with using linux dd unless you read up on it and know what you are doing or you could destroy your system! You’ve been warned!
    Anyway I hope this helps someone and saves them some time.
    – Tim

That’s nice! Thanks for your sharing to Jetson community.