Sum Absolute Difference (SAD) Textures or Shared?

I have written a Sum of Absolute Differences Kernel and am using textures. The Search areas are generally ~ 100x100 and the masks are ~50x50. So in each thread there are 50x50 calculations. Can I use shared memory for this as well as textures? would this speed it up at all or is texture memory fairly fast for this? Can I load the 2 50x50 arrays into shared in a loop, synchronise threads, then do another loop finding the difference? Would this be faster or slower than the code below? Any help would be much appreciated.

global void SAD(float* output, int W,int H, int SS_x,int SS_y, int MS_x, int MS_y, int S_x, int S_y, int M_x, int M_y)
{
unsigned int x = blockIdx.x * blockDim.x + threadIdx.x;
unsigned int y = blockIdx.y * blockDim.y + threadIdx.y;

if (x<(SS_x-MS_x) & y<(SS_y-MS_y))
{

int x_image_base = x + S_x; 
int y_image_base = y + S_y; 
int i,j, x_image, y_image, x_mask, y_mask;
float Total = 0;

float Diff;

for (i = 0; i < MS_x ; i++)
{
	for (j = 0; j < MS_y ; j++)
	{
	x_image = x_image_base + i;
	y_image = y_image_base + j;
	x_mask =  i;
	y_mask =  j;

Diff = abs( tex2D(texImage, x_image,y_image) - tex2D(texRef, x_mask,y_mask)) ;
	Total = Total + Diff;

}
}
output[(SS_x-MS_x)*y + x] = Total;

}

}

Two 50x50 single precision arrays occupy 20000 bytes. Each SM only has 16kb of shared memory, so on that point alone, shared memory is not going to work for you.

Ok. Thanks for your help.

Would there be any milage in loading the mask into shared memory and just texture fetching the search section. That way it would only use half the shared mem, or is the current implementation about as good as its going to get?

It might be faster. Reading from shared memory is as fast or faster than texture reads, and it might have some benefits for the performance of your other texture read (I don’t know what the texture cache implications of reading from two textures in a tight loop like that are). The downside will be occupancy. A 10kb mask size limits you to one block per SM. That might be problematic for performance.

Having said that, however, and given that the operation is only a summation over a tile of values, I would be pretty confident that there are considerably more efficient ways of achieving the same result than double nested loops with one tile per thread.