Suspend corrupts window manager (?) after upgrade to 378.09

Script works for me, but seems that it breaks login procedure. So i just created script and run it manually

We’re working on it. Sorry I can’t give you any more specifics.

As for the version numbers, the major version number matches the branch for the Windows versions, but the minor numbers run on separate schedules. So a higher version number on the Windows drivers just means they did more builds than we did on the Linux side. You need to look at the release date (or the build date in the driver components) if you want a rough comparison of how new a driver is.

Aaron, thank you for that, but I do not understand:

378.13 released on Feb 14, 2017
375.39 released on Feb 14, 2017

?

I’ve found an easy fix on Ubuntu 16.04. Using CompizConfig Settings Manager, just toggle on/off Effects > Fading Windows, an it seems to fix everything. Occasionally my Chrome window disappears, which requires a “killall chrome” before I can use it again, but it works.

Could you please give 381.09 a try?

Installation failed! After restart, I had to install --reinstall nvidia-378 to get back to desktop.

I dropped to virtual console, then stopped lightdm service and ran installation package with root privileges, did I miss something?

I had to install these libraries GitHub - NVIDIA/libglvnd: The GL Vendor-Neutral Dispatch library

After that, driver installation was succesful, however it complained about a symlink to /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 which I also did as the installer suggested, however there was no such file in neither directories.

As of now, the driver seems to work and I’ll test it out today :)

Regarding: 381.09

Appears stable until a resume from suspend.

Some moments (seconds, minutes) after a resume from suspend the system becomes unresponsive for a few (~2 minutes).

After that it appears to be stable.

Edit: 2nd monitor displays pre-suspend top status line menu items, prior to login post resume (e.g. if Google Chrome browser was running on the 2nd monitor prior to suspend, the menu bar is still present post suspend prior to login. Login screen on monitor #1).

Linux-x86_64 4.4.0-66-generic
GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (86.06.39.00.60)
Intel® Core™ i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz × 8 (32G Ram)
Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS
Dual monitors (DisplayPort)
ASUS PRIME Z270-A LGA1151 DDR4 DP HDMI DVI M.2 USB 3.1 Z270 ATX Motherboard

For me the driver 381.09 works without any problems (via graphics drivers ppa).
The bug is solved too.

Ubuntu 17.04 with GTX 1080

For PPA look here: https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

What is that ppa? Didn’t find the package in xorg-edgers or ubuntu repositories yet so I installed from the blob from Nvidias website.

The bug was solved by 381.09, but for some reason I couldn’t get Steam started with it (Steamdid start but it just stayed idle in the background) - I had to downgrade and reboot to make it work!

Back to 378.13 and suspend corruption…

The corruption persists on my 1060GTX with openSUSE Leap 42.2 and KDE / Plasma. After resuming the display becomes unresponsive for a while. Also some glitches on the desktop. I also tried Tumbleweed with kernel 4.10. There the Noveau driver works without a problem. Installed the 381.09 and the trouble starts.

What details do you need? It still makes no fun. Everything okay on Windows with my machine (intel i7 6700, 16GB Ram, Asus z170-k mainboard, windows 10 Pro 1703 on this machine too.)

@sarka:

Have a look at

Issue is still in Nvidia 378.13, Xenial Ubuntu 16.04.01, my one-line Bash fix (posted originally in: Comment #12 : Bug #1667158 : Bugs : nvidia-graphics-drivers-375 package : Ubuntu) still works everytime after suspend/resume:
$ kill $(ps -eo pid,comm | grep “compiz” | grep -v grep | awk ‘{print $1}’)

Happy to report that 381.09 does indeed fix the problem for me :) (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS). Thanks a lot to the devs and other people that helped with the new release!

Unfortunately, I have yet to test if it solves the problem for me. I use Fedora, and RPMFusion is still on 375.xx. Negativo17’s repos are still on 378.xx. Maybe I have to compile the drivers myself :P

Did the 381.09 install, seems fine after suspend/hib. resume on graphics/windows corruption issue but GPU fan STOPS WORKING!!
Only GPU throttling but NO FAN KICKING IN (!)

Restart X won’t fix it, only reboot.
Now it’s getting dangerous…

HW: Clevo N150RD i7-6700HQ 16Gb Nvidia GTX960M
Distributor ID: LinuxMint
Description: Linux Mint 18.1 Serena
Release: 18.1
Codename: serena
4.4.0-70-generic #91-Ubuntu SMP Wed Mar 22 12:47:43 UTC 2017 GNU/Linux

NOTE: created new topic for this new issue on new driver version:
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1003270/linux/upgrade-to-381-09-after-suspend-hib-on-resume-gpu-fan-stops-working-/

Hi Gargi, Please start new thread for your issue. Attach nvidia bug report as soon as issue hit. Can you share reproduction steps for this issue.

I tried different kernel (4.9 vs 4.4LTS) and fan now operates after resume from sleep/hib.

This was due to fan speed control being done by motherboard and not nvidia driver. I’m on a laptop.

GFX corruption on my end is solved with 370 or 381 nvidia drivers.

Thanks to all for your input!

You can find my topic here: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/994523/linux/freezing-after-resume-gtx-1060/

Also attached a bug report by the last posting for you. Thanks for your help!

Gargi

I use kernel 4.4 in Ubuntu, and nvidia 750Ti graphics, and the new driver 381 fix the corruption after resume for me, work fine!!!

Thanks Nvidia-devs!!!