System does not boot after JetPack upgrade from 4.4 to 4.4.1

I trying to update Jetpack on my Jetson Nano from 4.4 to 4.4.1 using OTA.

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

Update is successfully completed without errors.

During the first reboot, the Nvidia logo flashes cyclically and the system does not boot. Then, after hardware reboot (or power off/on), only the black screen appears (probably the display does not even turn on).

In recovery mode, Nvidia SDK Manager connects to the device, but does not find errors in the system.

I restored the system from the SD card image and tried to update several times, but I always get the same result.
Also I tried to turn off the automatic power on with the jumper.

Previous system updates using OTA were successful. What could be the problem?

Hi,

OTA upgrade is not yet ready for 4.4.1. Please use sdkmanager for the upgrade.

Hi! Thank you for answer.

1. Do I understand correctly that updating through the Nvidia SDK Manager will delete all settings and data?
  2. If I don’t upgrade to version 4.4.1 now, will I be able to upgrade 4.4 in the future to the next version using OTA, without upgrading to 4.4.1?
  1. Do I understand correctly that updating through the Nvidia SDK Manager will delete all settings and data?

Yes.

1. If I don’t upgrade to version 4.4.1 now, will I be able to upgrade 4.4 in the future to the next version using OTA, without upgrading to 4.4.1?

We are still checking if there is an easy way to do so.

I tried to update all nvidia packages separately.

After updating the following packages, the GUI stopped loading, but the system was working and was available via SSH.

nvidia-l4t-3d-core nvidia-l4t-camera nvidia-l4t-cuda nvidia-l4t-firmware nvidia-l4t-graphics-demos nvidia-l4t-init nvidia-l4t-jetson-multimedia-api nvidia-l4t-multimedia nvidia-l4t-multimedia-utils nvidia-l4t-wayland nvidia-l4t-weston nvidia-l4t-x11

After updating nvidia-l4t-bootloader, the system no longer boots - only the logo appears.

I think that the inability to update the L4T system is a big problem for the developer. I have to choose - either to use an old version of the system or to restore my project manually every time. Recovery takes a long time - I need to compile and install libraries, configure the system, copy data. Please fix the problem with update!

Hi,

What was your step to do the upgrade? The steps should be

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt install nvidia-jetpack

Yes, I tried to update the system several times using these commands.

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

When I tried to update the packages separately, I used the following commands

sudo apt update
apt list --upgradable

Then update each package from the list

sudo apt install --only-upgrade package_name

As i assumed the problem is is related to nvidia-l4t-bootloader

Hi,

When I tried to update the packages separately, I used the following commands

Why do you want to install the package “separately”? I thought apt upgrade would do the system upgrade.

I tried to update the system several times using the standard procedure “sudo apt update sudo apt upgrade”. After that, the system does not boot.

Then I tried to find the nvidia package that is causing the issue after the update. For this I have updated all nvidia packages one by one. After updating nvidia-l4t-bootloader, the system does not boot.

Hi,

May I get more detail about it

1. Is it a nvidia devkit or custom carrier board?

2. Do you have the log from serial console?

3. How do you “tried to find the nvidia package that is causing issue” while the board is already not able to boot? You flashed it to jp4.4 again?

1. Devkit.
  2. I did not save the log. I will try to update the system again and put a log here.
  3. I restored the system to SD from the image I created with Clonezilla.

Thanks. Waiting for your update.

My update log.

l4t_update_log.txt (53.1 KB)

This is not an answer, but might be a workaround.
What if you boot without monitor and plug HDMI in only one minute after boot ?

It is a good idea, thank you! I have a touchscreen display and it is connected via usb. I’ll try to update and reboot the system without the monitor.

Unfortunately turning off the display (USB and HDMI) didn’t help.

So it would help to have a serial console.
You would be able to see errors. If the kernel boots and it’s just a monitor issue, you would login and see if an EDID has been read. I have no Nano, but something like:

sudo cat /sys/kernel/debug/tegradc.0/edid

If an EDID has been read, you should be able to see a block of hex values. You can copy these and paste into www.edidreader.com and check details.

If a correct EDID has been read, you would want to see if the X server rejected it.
First, if you’ve made changes to xorg.conf, you may try to remove these changes.
As root, you would edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and in section Device, add a line with:

Option      "ModeDebug"

Then reboot and check file /var/log/Xorg.0.log. You may see if your mode has been rejected.

My boot log from serial console.

boot_log_sc.txt (70.0 KB)

I seem to have solved the problem.

First, I looked at the boot log using the serial console. According to the log, when the system starts up, it is not the “primary kernel” that boots, but the “Custom 40-pin header configuration”.

[18:17:40:065] L4T boot options␍␊
[18:17:40:097] 1:⇥	primary kernel␍␊
[18:17:40:097] 2:⇥	Custom 40-pin Header Config␍␊
[18:17:40:097] Enter choice: 2:⇥	Custom 40-pin Header Config␍␊

Actually, I previously configured the GPIO with Jetson IO.

L4T boot options are specified in file /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf. (file in attachment, .txt)
extlinux.conf.txt (2.1 KB)

I changed the default boot label to “primary”

TIMEOUT 30
DEFAULT JetsonIO

=>

TIMEOUT 30
DEFAULT primary

After that, the system booted without errors!

Next I will check if Jetson IO will work. I need GPIO for my project.

Honey_Patouceul, thanks for the advice!

I also hope that the Nvidia developers will fix this bug.

1 Like

Yes, Jetson IO works fine after the upgrade. After changing the GPIO settings with Jetson IO, L4T boot option is again “JetsonIO”.
System rebooted without errors.