Tegra 2.1, Visual Studio 2013, Android 4.4 - Failed to pull device files: Index was outside the boun

Hello, I’ve just installed Tegra & Nsight as a solution for debugging Cocos2d-x based Android games. Everything is fine up to the point where the debugger tries to pull the device files and I get an error “Failed to pull device files: Index was outside the bounds of the array”. I also get this error when I try and debug one of the Tegra NDK sample apps.

Similar issue here:
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/798300/

Based on that post, the issue seems to be isolated to Android 4.3+. I tried an Android tablet that had 4.2 and it deployed and debugged perfectly.

I wasn’t expecting this to still be an issue with NSight 2.1. Is there a solution in the works for 4.3+ debugging or some workaround perhaps ?

Thanks.

Hi, if by 4.3+ you mean only the 4.3 branch and not 4.4 and later then yes, it doesn’t work and it won’t work in the future. This is an OS that can only be fixed by upgrading or downgrading.

Hi Dmitry

I meant later. Specifically, I got this error consistently with 2 Samsung devices, a Galaxy S4 running 4.4.2 and a Note 4 running 4.4.4. It only worked on my Galaxy Tab 10.1 which is running 4.2.2.

I’m guessing that rooting the devices may get around the problem so the system files can be pulled successfully.

However, I ended up buying a cheap Nexus 7 to avoid the interrupted debugging. This is running Android 5.1 and all working fine, very happy here now and loving NSight.

Thanks.

The problem still can be related to the device. We’ve had several reports of inability to debug on vendor devices and in 90% of cases it boiled down to the bug I’ve mentioned. This bug has been fixed in stock Android 4.4, but unfortunately some vendors didn’t include it in their customized Android 4.x distributions.

If you could send me a log file of a debug session when that happens, I should be able to tell you the reason for this behavior.