Telsa K20c Fan speeds....

Hey everyone.

At my university, we have some machines with GTX580’s and a few with BRAND NEW Telsa K20c’s.

The machines with the Telsa K20c also have a GTX580 but NOT in SLI.

The machines are dual booting both Linux and Windows and I can access and run applications on both cards and everything is fine.

From installing the K20c, I noticed it’s REALLY LOUD. Usually the GPU fans slow down after POST but the Tesla in my case stays at 100% (or what I think is 100% since it sounds like GTX580 sounds at full fan)…

It’s really making me nervous. Any advice is MUCH appreciated. Thanks guys.

-Anthony

You should be able to check fan speed with NVIDIA Inspector in Windows OS… I don’t remember if I was able to set the fan speed, however. Make sure the computer power supply is good/providing adequate power.

Thanks for the reply. I’ll check the fan speeds tomorrow. The nvidia-settings in Linux reports it having a fan speed at 30% but I find that hard to believe. I will test nvidia-inspector tomorrow in Windows.

The power supply is 1000w and is powering both a GTX580 and the Tesla along with a Xeon and a single hard drive.

Anyway, thanks for the tip, I’ll report back soon.

Ok,

So in Windows, I see both cards in Device Manager and I can access both of them via my CUDA programs. BUT nvidia inspector will only let me look at / modify the GTX580 that I used for display.

Any more pointers?

Thanks,
Anthony

Oops… my memory must be bad, I think I remember that being the case also… probably because it’s using TCC mode, but since this card doesn’t have any outputs I don’t think you can change the mode.

Try something like:

nvidia-settings -a [gpu:0]/GPUFanControlState=1 -a [fan:0]/GPUCurrentFanSpeed=xx

where xx is the fan speed under Linux.

Source: http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=19208

You can use nvidia-smi to check FAN speed of Tesla on Linux OSes and Windows 64bit OS.