tensor contraction tips? Efficient way to contract rank-n tensor?

Hi,
I need suggestions to optimize my code or new implementation ideas to perform tensor contractions.
I need to perform a lot of contractions for a rank-4 tensor T, with each dimension D (D^4 elements). D is usually small ~4-10. and the final answer is another a rank-4 tensor TO:
TO[a][b][c][d]=T[a][l][c][i]*T[a][j][i][d]*T[j][b][k][d]*T[l][b][c][k],

Repeated indices are summed over.

Here is my code for this operation, and would like to ask for suggestions to optimize it or new ways to implement it. Currently I reshape T to a D^2xD^2 matrix. The block_size is set to D, so there will be DxD threads in a 2d block and the grid will be DxD as well. Each thread now computes an element of TO.

For D=4, I can achieve 33% occupancy, and about 1.5x speedup. When I increase D to D=8, the code seems to hang. The CPU benchmark takes less then 1s to run for D=8. I also put T into a 2D texture, and the code is actually slower for D=4.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thank you.

global void tensorCon( float* T, float* TO)
{
// Block index
int bx = blockIdx.x;
int by = blockIdx.y;

// Thread index
int tx = threadIdx.x;
int ty = threadIdx.y;

int alpha = bx / D ;
int beta  = bx % D ;

int gamma = by / D ;
int delta = by % D ;

// Declaration of the shared memory arrays 
__shared__ float As[D][D];
__shared__ float Bs[D][D];
__shared__ float Cs[D][D];
__shared__ float Ds[D][D];

__shared__ float sdata[D];

As[ty][tx] = T[ tx + gamma * D + ty * D*D + alpha * D*D*D ];
Bs[ty][tx] = T[ delta + ty * D + tx * D*D + alpha * D*D*D ];

Cs[ty][tx] = T[ delta + tx * D + beta * D*D + ty * D*D*D ];
Ds[ty][tx] = T[ ty + gamma * D + beta * D*D+ tx * D*D*D ];
__syncthreads();

float Csub = 0.;
float Dsub = 0.;

for (int k = 0; k < D; ++k){
  Csub += As[ty][k] * Bs[k][tx];
  Dsub += Cs[ty][k] * Ds[k][tx];
}
__syncthreads();

As[ty][tx] = Csub;
Bs[ty][tx] = Dsub;

__syncthreads();

if (ty==0) {
  float res=0.;
  for (int k =0 ; k < D; ++k )
res += As[tx][k]*Bs[k][tx];
  sdata[tx]=res;
  __syncthreads();

for ( unsigned int s=D/2; s> 0; s>>=1 ){
  if ( tx < s )
    sdata[tx] +=sdata[tx+s];
  __syncthreads();
} 
}

TO[delta+gamma*D+beta*D*D*D+alpha*D*D*D]=sdata[0];

}

It turns out that I put several synchthreads inside conditionals and they caused the system to hang if the size of the tensor goes beyond one warp. With some rearranging of synchthreads and add padding to the next power of 2, the code works from D=2 to 22, with the maximum speedup 35x ( including memcpy ).

Somehow it fails at D=23, though.

nice

Do you cudaThreadSynchronize() and check for errors after the kernel call? You could be reaching the 5s limit or requesting too many threads per block.

It’s too many threads per block for D=23, since 23^2=529>512. Need to go back to the drawing board for larger sizes.

I think I can hide a factor of 4 into texture, since the 2D texture version of the code gives 40x for D>20.