TensorFlow Serving on Jetson TX2

Hello,

Since our models heavily utilize unsupported TF layers, converting our TF Model to a UFF does not seem feasible. Instead, we were thinking of trying to get TensorFlow Serving working on the jetson, to act as a mini server for model inference.

Has anyone done this yet? I’ve seen examples of installing TensorFlow on the Jetson so I assumed it might be possible to install TensorFlow Serving as well.

However, I run in issues building TF Serving with Bazel, and have exhausted my ability to narrow down the problem.

So far I have:
Installed all pre-reqs
Installed bazel
cloned TF Serving and attempted to build it from source. I run into an issue which is similar to memory issues I’ve seen around the forums/github pages and have tried to confine the resources used during the build, but nothing works.

The error is:
Linking of rule ‘//tensorflow_serving/model_servers:tensorflow_model_server’ failed (Exit 1).
bazel-out/local-opt/bin/external/aws/_objs/aws/external/aws/aws-cpp-sdk-core/source/client/ClientConfiguration.o:ClientConfiguration.cpp:function Aws::Client::ComputeUserAgentString(): error: undefined reference to ‘Aws::OSVersionInfo::ComputeOSVersionStringabi:cxx11

collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status

Does anyone have experience attempting / successfully installing TensorFlow Serving on a Jetson?

Hi,

Sorry that we don’t have experience on TensorFlow serving.

Based on your log, it’s recommended to check if AWS SDK supports aarch64 OS first:
https://github.com/aws/aws-sdk-cpp

Thanks.

I met the same problem when trying to install tensorflow serving on TX1
I’ve already tried to install tf-serving on TX1 for over a week, solved many problems met, but stuck here

I’ve just solved the problem about AWS SDK, and successfully installed Tensorflow Serving on Jetson TX1

Here are the steps:

1. view xxxxxxxxxxx/external/aws/BUILD.bazel , find target “aws”
  2. there is no platform about aarch64, so use linux-shared as the default

cc_library(
name = “aws”,
srcs = select({
@org_tensorflow//tensorflow:linux_x86_64”: glob([
“aws-cpp-sdk-core/source/platform/linux-shared/.cpp",
]),
@org_tensorflow//tensorflow:darwin”: glob([
"aws-cpp-sdk-core/source/platform/linux-shared/
.cpp”,
]),
@org_tensorflow//tensorflow:linux_ppc64le”: glob([
“aws-cpp-sdk-core/source/platform/linux-shared/.cpp",
]),
@org_tensorflow//tensorflow:raspberry_pi_armeabi”: glob([
"aws-cpp-sdk-core/source/platform/linux-shared/
.cpp”,
]),
“//conditions:default”: glob([
“aws-cpp-sdk-core/source/platform/linux-shared/*.cpp”,
])
}) + glob(

Hi i also want to get tensorflow serving on the jetson tx2.
Did you manage to get it working?
I’m having a problem with installing Bazel, i’m getting the error:
Uncompressing…/home/nvidia/bin/bazel: line 88: /home/nvidia/.bazel/bin/bazel-real: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error.

You’re probably using a desktop PC architecture (x86_64) file and not one compiled for this architecture (arm64/aarch64/ARMv8-a). What do you see from:

file  /home/nvidia/.bazel/bin/bazel-real

A typical problem is from copy of files on the PC to the Jetson without rebuilding for the Jetson’s different architecture.

Alright it is as i have suspected, but i couldn’t find a build for the arm64/aarch64/ARMv8-a from the bazel-list:

So it is not possible to get bazel on the Jetson tx2?

If the code is released in source format, then you can probably recompile it on the Jetson (some programs have architecture dependent code, but most don’t).

Any progress? Need TF Serving too.

hi, ericzli. Could you please share the detailed steps for successful installation? I’m trying to install tensorflow serving with GPU supporting on Jetson Nano. THX.

@dxyjob et al:

See https://github.com/helmuthva/jetson/tree/master/workflow/deploy/tensorflow-serving-base/src for a Dockerfile and .bazelrc file showing how to get TensorFlow Serving running on Jetson edge devices.

The image is based on https://github.com/helmuthva/jetson/tree/master/workflow/deploy/ml-base which provides prerequisites.

See https://github.com/helmuthva/jetson for the bigger picture of this project.

In case you don’t want to build the images yourself they are now published for Xavier and Nano on DockerHub - see Docker Hub and Docker Hub - the Xavier variant should run on TX2.

To allow access to the GPU from inside the Docker container you need to mount the following devices

• /dev/nvhost-ctrl
  • /dev/nvhost-ctrl-gpu
  • /dev/nvhost-prof-gpu
  • /dev/nvmap
  • /dev/nvhost-gpu
  • /dev/nvhost-as-gpu

With docker run this can be easily achieved like so: docker run --device=/dev/nvhost-ctrl --device=/dev/…

See jetson/deployment.yaml at master · helmut-hoffer-von-ankershoffen/jetson · GitHub on how this is done in a Kubernetes deployment.

Hi Helmut! Looked at your Dockerfiles, and I’m trying to generate a non 6GB image :)… so basically am going from nvcr.io/nvidia/l4t-base:r32.3.1, and using basically your [https://github.com/helmut-hoffer-von-ankershoffen/jetson/blob/master/workflow/deploy/tensorflow-serving-base/src/Dockerfile]Dockerfile for tf-serving-base[/url]. Works well until I get to the building of tf-serving using Bazel. I’m definitely no bazel expert, it’s the first time I use this to build anything :)

I’m getting this error message :

Extracting Bazel installation...
Starting local Bazel server and connecting to it...
ERROR: error loading package '': Encountered error while reading extension file 'third_party/toolchains/preconfig/generate/archives.bzl': no such package '@org_tensorflow//third_party/toolchains/preconfig/generate': type 'repository_ctx' has no method patch()
ERROR: error loading package '': Encountered error while reading extension file 'third_party/toolchains/preconfig/generate/archives.bzl': no such package '@org_tensorflow//third_party/toolchains/preconfig/generate': type 'repository_ctx' has no method patch()
INFO: Elapsed time: 33.556s
INFO: 0 processes.
FAILED: Build did NOT complete successfully (0 packages loaded)
The command '/bin/sh -c bazel build     --color=yes     --curses=yes     --jobs="${JOBS}"     --verbose_failures     --output_filter=DONT_MATCH_ANYTHING     --config=cuda     --config=nativeopt     --config=${JETSON_MODEL}     --copt="-fPIC"     tensorflow_serving/model_servers:tensorflow_model_server' returned a non-zero code: 1

Any idea on what I should be paying attention to ?