The device could not be readied for configuration - mlx5 adapter error

I have mlx4 QDR adapters working in Connected mode (plugged into a QDR managed Mellanox switch), but I can only get my new mlx5 EDR adapters (plugged into an EDR managed Mellanox switch) to work in Datagram mode for IPoIB. What am I missing?

I can configure the IP settings in nmtui (CentOS 7.6). When I try to activate ib0 in nmtui, I get “Could not activate connection: Activation failed: The device could not be readied for configuration”.

Thanks!

Hello Cory,

Thank you for posting your inquiry on the Mellanox Community.

Based on the information provided, you can configure the Mellanox EDR adapter for CONNECTED_MODE by the following.

When using a more recent MLNX_OFED or INBOX driver module which comes with the Linux Distribution, enhanced_ipoib needs to be disabled as this is not supported when using CONNECTED_MODE.

For disabling enhanced IPoIB, please run the following syntax and restart the MLNX_OFED driver or reboot the node.

echo “ib_ipoib ipoib_enhanced=0” > /etc/modprobe.d/ib_ipoib.conf

/etc/init.d/openibd force-restart

or

systemctl reboot

To force the EDR adapter to CONNECTED_MODE, you need to do the following when using MLNX_OFED

sed -i ‘s/SET_IPOIB_CM=auto/SET_IPOIB_CM=yes/g’ /etc/infiniband/openib.conf

/etc/init.d/openibd force-restart

When using OS provided driver module, for example CentOS 7.6, you need to add the following line to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ib network configuration file → ‘CONNECTED_MODE=yes’ and restart the IPoIB interface.

Many thanks,

~Mellanox Technical Support