The GPU utilization is low

Hi.
I have a application will processing 1*8192 pixels gray images for 80k Hz.
However, the GPU utilization is about 45%.
I measured the memory transition rate by program. The memory transition rate is about 6GB/s.
I thought the memory bandwidth I need is 2 * 8192 bytes * 80k ~= 1.2 GB/s. It is sufficient for memory copy.
My CPU is i7-4770k, and GPU is GTX650.

How can I promote the GPU utilization to get better performance?

You need to provide more information on your implementation to allow the identification of your problem.

1. I assume processing the image takes longer than 1/80k s? Otherwise you do not provide enough data to fully utilize the GPU, which means you are already at maximum performance.

2. Did you overlap memory transactions and computation?

Thanks for your reply.
The image processing will be handled in GPU.
If CPU doesn’t do anything, the processing speed can up to 80k.
However, if CPU starts detect feature, the speed is only about 40k.
The code is like below.
The caller function will be called by many CPU thread.
I have already used Async function to overlap the transition and computation.
But it is not work too much for my performance.

void Preprocessing_Caller(unsigned char* pSrc, unsigned char* pDst, int iWidth, int iHeight, int filterWidth, int filterHeight, float* factor, bool bShading, bool bFilter, bool bSharpen, int nChannels){

cudaStream_t cudaStream;
		cudaStreamCreate(&cudaStream);
		dim3 block(BLOCK_X, BLOCK_Y);
		dim3 grid((iWidth*nChannels + block.x - 1)/block.x, (iHeight + block.y - 1)/ block.y);
		unsigned char* d_pSrc = NULL;
		unsigned char* d_pDst = NULL;
		unsigned char* d_tmp = NULL;
		float* d_factor = NULL;
		size_t gpu_image_pitch = 0;
		cudaResourceDesc resDesc;
		cudaTextureDesc texSrcDesc;
		cudaTextureObject_t texSrc=0;

cudaMallocPitch<unsigned char>(&d_pSrc,&gpu_image_pitch,iWidth*nChannels,iHeight);
		cudaMemcpy2DAsync(d_pSrc,gpu_image_pitch,pSrc,iWidth*nChannels,iWidth*nChannels,iHeight,cudaMemcpyHostToDevice, cudaStream);

if(bShading){
			cudaMalloc((void**)&d_factor,nChannels*iWidth*sizeof(float));
			cudaMemcpyAsync(d_factor, factor,nChannels*iWidth*sizeof(float),cudaMemcpyHostToDevice, cudaStream);

if(nChannels == 1){
				ShadingKernel<<<(iWidth + SHADING_THREAD - 1)/SHADING_THREAD, SHADING_THREAD, 0, cudaStream>>>(d_pSrc, d_pSrc, iWidth, iHeight, gpu_image_pitch, d_factor);
			}else if(nChannels == 3){
				ShadingKernel_3channels<<<(iWidth*nChannels + SHADING_THREAD - 1)/SHADING_THREAD, SHADING_THREAD, 0, cudaStream>>>(d_pSrc, d_pSrc, iWidth, iHeight, gpu_image_pitch, d_factor);
			}

cudaFree(d_factor);
		}

if(bFilter){
			memset(&resDesc, 0, sizeof(resDesc));
			resDesc.resType = cudaResourceTypePitch2D;
			cudaMallocPitch<unsigned char>(&d_tmp,&gpu_image_pitch,iWidth*nChannels,iHeight);

resDesc.res.pitch2D.devPtr = d_pSrc;
			resDesc.res.pitch2D.pitchInBytes = gpu_image_pitch;
			resDesc.res.pitch2D.height = iHeight;
			resDesc.res.pitch2D.width = iWidth*nChannels;
			resDesc.res.pitch2D.desc.f = cudaChannelFormatKindUnsigned;
			resDesc.res.pitch2D.desc.x = 8;
			memset(&texSrcDesc, 0, sizeof(texSrcDesc));
			texSrcDesc.readMode = cudaReadModeElementType;

cudaCreateTextureObject(&texSrc, &resDesc, &texSrcDesc, NULL);

if(nChannels == 1){
				MeanFilterKernel<<<(iWidth+MEAN_THREAD-1)/MEAN_THREAD, MEAN_THREAD, 0, cudaStream>>>(texSrc, d_tmp, iWidth, iHeight, gpu_image_pitch, filterWidth, filterHeight, (float)1/(filterWidth*filterHeight));
				MeanFilterKernel_3channels<<<(iWidth*nChannels+MEAN_THREAD-1)/MEAN_THREAD, MEAN_THREAD, 0, cudaStream>>>(texSrc, d_tmp, iWidth, iHeight, gpu_image_pitch, filterWidth, filterHeight, (float)1/(filterWidth*filterHeight));
			}

cudaDestroyTextureObject(texSrc);
			cudaFree(d_pSrc);
		}else{
			d_tmp = d_pSrc;
		}

if(bSharpen){
			cudaMallocPitch<unsigned char>(&d_pDst,&gpu_image_pitch,iWidth*nChannels,iHeight);

memset(&resDesc, 0, sizeof(resDesc));
			resDesc.resType = cudaResourceTypePitch2D;

resDesc.res.pitch2D.devPtr = d_tmp;
			resDesc.res.pitch2D.pitchInBytes = gpu_image_pitch;
			resDesc.res.pitch2D.height = iHeight;
			resDesc.res.pitch2D.width = iWidth*nChannels;
			resDesc.res.pitch2D.desc.f = cudaChannelFormatKindUnsigned;
			resDesc.res.pitch2D.desc.x = 8;
			memset(&texSrcDesc, 0, sizeof(texSrcDesc));
			texSrcDesc.readMode = cudaReadModeElementType;

cudaCreateTextureObject(&texSrc, &resDesc, &texSrcDesc, NULL);
			if(nChannels == 1){
				SharpFilterKernel<<<grid, block, 0, cudaStream>>>(texSrc, d_pDst, iWidth, iHeight, gpu_image_pitch);
				SharpFilterKernel_3channels<<<grid, block, 0, cudaStream>>>(texSrc, d_pDst, iWidth, iHeight, gpu_image_pitch);
			}
			cudaDestroyTextureObject(texSrc);
			cudaFree(d_tmp);

}else{
			d_pDst = d_tmp;
		}
		cudaMemcpy2DAsync(pDst,iWidth*nChannels,d_pDst,gpu_image_pitch,iWidth*nChannels,iHeight,cudaMemcpyDeviceToHost, cudaStream);
		cudaStreamDestroy(cudaStream);
		cudaFree(d_pDst);

}

hey, you’re using a lot of high overhead functions in your subroutine. I’d advise to separate cudaStream creation and memory/texture allocation from the code doing the actual computation work.

Create a pool of maybe 4 to 8 CUDA streams and associated memory allocations, and pass any incoming work to any available streams. In my own CUDA code I use completion callbacks that put completed streams back into the pool of available streams and pass the computation results back to the application asynchronously. This stream pool needs a thread safe locking mechanism around it.

Christian