The Hyper Kernel - Achieving Parity With Windows

--__- The Hyper Kernel Guide -__--

So having been a long time NVIDIA and LINUX user I thought I would share with you guys my current setup designed to get the best performance on linux,
that is comparable to what windows users can achieve with windows.

I configure my system from top-bottom hardware to software to get high performance on linux, and have tested all the main stream distributions and also alt-distributions in this same context. After all is said and done, Briefly,I have personally settled on using debian as a stable base to achieve this goal.

The various distributions have their own limitations when it comes to the amount of customization we can easily do, with debian I can easily pull a kernel from kernel.org customize it how I want and install it without issues, and also I can pull the nvidia driver from their website and install it without issues. It’s also a stable environment in the sense that it doesnt undergo dramatic changes over time, so I can quickly configure debian without having to learn new things repeatedly. For these reasons debian is producing the best performance out of all the distro’s right now in my opinion.

To prepare debian for gaming, i use XFCE which is easy to customize, and super speedy afterwards, while maintaining compatibility with the newer features that applications have. Even lighter desktop environments such as open box and lxde are good, but have issues related to general desktop usage that xfce doesn’t. I also use the root account for everything, in order to give myself enhanced access to system resources. For things that require security I opt to use a different environment instead of my gaming environment…

I install debian xfce live, with autologin turned off. Make a root account after the install with sudo passwd. Then I login as root, and use the root account to do everything. Turn on 32 bit library support with dpkg --add-architecture i386 and apt update, and then she’s ready to be customized into the ultimate linux gaming distributions.

I grab the linux-6.1.82 kernel tarball right off the front page of kernel.org(which is similar to the kernel used in debian bookworm 12.5 right now)
and build it for high performance by removing all the security features such as memory randomization unnecessary drivers, debugging, and every possible thing I can identify that produces overhead in any way shape or form.

And you build it like this…

The Hyper Kernel Config

.config.txt (155.1 KB)

This is my .config file that has all the configurations I’ve managed to pick out based on my standard issue consumer gaming desktop, and should be compatible with most other people’s if they use intel cpu and nvidia driver. Amd users will have to edit it to include amd features.

And this is how you build it…

grab tarball from kernel.org

extract the source

Enter the source folder

make mrproper

(this is where you insert the hyper kernel .config file)
bring in old .config

make olddefconfig
(use make menu config to add in support for amd if needed or other features)
make menuconfig

save new .config

make -j $(nproc)

make modules -j $(nproc)

make modules_install

make install

And it should update grub automatically. After installing the hyper kernel we have the proper base to work with to use linux as the ultimate gaming machine.

and here’s some more unsorted notes I made last night about the hyper kernel…

the hyper kernel notes (built for debian bookworm 12.5)

the hyper kernel is built from vanilla sources strictly
and so far has appeared to be super stable while
also hyper-speedy, lacking third-party patches made for
improving the kernels performance.

The hyper kernel is more stable than xanmod, with similar
short-term performance,and should exhibit far better endurance.
With a comprehensively configured system, i.e hardware->bios/uefi
hardware settings->operating system optimized, i.e services,
automatic programs turned off, desktop effects turned off, i.e. compositing or effects,
Journaling off… uneccessary networking protocols turned off, high performance file system options,
basically… every single thing you can possibly configure for performance:
THE BOOT PROCESS can crash very easily, with the entire system optimized
for hyper-speed. The hyper kernel can possibly be unstable during boot in other words,
or in other operating scenarios, without any thought given to configuring stability
in parallel to it. For f2fs file systems we can use the fastboot option in fstab
for example to help work around this problem during the boot process, and perhaps
rootwait for the kernel command line for nvme type drives might help, but I haven’t
seen it work, and have seen the kernel crash repeatedly in that scenario. If your overall
configuration is wrong, you are going to crash your system - in a loop!
If I had more computers I could solve these problems and figure out
the exact solutions… but with only one or two computers you simply can’t.

the hyper-kernel command line changes pretty frequently,
and includes some redundant settings that should be built
in by default, like mitigations=off, nowatchdog, highres=off,
ect. I think the most important settings given a well built
kernel, with attention given to all it’s possible configurations,
will revolve around peripheral components such as cpu flags…

the hyper kernel command line

highres=off io_delay=none preempt=full mitigations=off nowatchdog cryptomgr.notests cpuidle.off=1 audit=0

I built in preempt to be optional from the kernel command line specifically, so that can be turned on or off to see how it alters the situation. Watchdog is also not built in, but perhaps could be to help divert scenarios where things get locked down. Anyways I just wanted to share with you guys my guide for getting a stable base system in linux, to build off of further… this isn’t a comprehensive guide to getting the best performance.

Edit: just wanted to add, this is a work in progress, it’s what im using right now, and isn’t fully optimized, more settings in makemenuconfig can further improve the kernels performance, and as for the operating system, again, you have to figure that out on your own