Timing CUDA-x86 binary

Hi,

I’m trying to compare our CUDA implementation of a neural network algorithm with a multiCPU implementation generated by CUDA-x86 compiler. I compiled it without problems but when i execute the generated binary i obtain some strange values on timing results, for example:

i put some printf to show in each iteration how long does it take to reduce the network and sometimes it print the result and sometimes not, what timing library would you recommend me to measure performance of a multiCPU binary generate by your CUDA-x86 compiler,

Many thanks in advance, Sergio

Hi Sergio,

put some printf to show in each iteration how long does it take to reduce the network and sometimes it print the result and sometimes not

Sorry, I’d need an example to better understand what you’re doing. Though perhaps you’re not blocking between the kernel and the timing call? Kernels are launched asynchronously so can create problems when trying to use host side timers.

what timing library would you recommend me to measure performance of a multiCPU binary generate by your CUDA-x86 compiler,

I typically use CUDA events to do internal timings of such things ask kernel execution and data movement.

• Mat

Thanks for your reply,

I’ve tried using Cuda events and also i obtain the same strange behaviour, only print some iterations over a loop,

function c++

cudaEvent_t start,stop;
	cudaEventCreate(&start);
	cudaEventCreate(&stop);
	cudaEventRecord(start,0);

unsigned int bytes = size * sizeof(Neurona);
    cutilSafeCallNoSync( cudaMemcpy(d_idata, h_idata, bytes, cudaMemcpyHostToDevice) );

float COEF_GANADORA=(float)0.1;
    float COEF_VECINAS=(float)0.01;
	int UMBRAL_DATOS=127;

cudaMemcpyToSymbol("COEF_GANADORA",    &COEF_GANADORA,    sizeof(float));
	cudaMemcpyToSymbol("COEF_VECINAS",    &COEF_VECINAS,    sizeof(float));

int aux;
	if( isPow2(size) )
	{
		cudaMemcpyToSymbol("size",    &size,    sizeof(size));
	}else
	{
		aux = nextPow2(size);
		cudaMemcpyToSymbol("size",    &aux,    sizeof(aux));	
	}

for (entrada=0;entrada<NUM_ENTRADAS;entrada++)
	{
		al=rand()%(NUM_PUNTOS);

x=nube_puntos[al*3];
		y=nube_puntos[al*3+1];
		z=nube_puntos[al*3+2];

reduceMinNeurona3_Min2<<<dimGrid>>>(d_idata, d_odata, x, y, z);

ajustarPesosGanadora<<<1>>>(d_matVecinas, d_idata, d_odata, numBlocks,x,y, z);
	}

cudaMemcpy(h_matVecinas, d_matVecinas, sizeof(auxVECINA)*((size*100)+size), cudaMemcpyDeviceToHost);

cutilSafeCall( cudaMemcpy(h_idata, d_idata, bytes, cudaMemcpyDeviceToHost) );

float elapsedTime;
	cudaEventRecord( stop,0 );
	cudaEventSynchronize(stop);
	cudaEventElapsedTime(&elapsedTime, start,stop);
	printf("Time with %d neurons %3.1f ms \n",size, elapsedTime);

this function is executed over a loop about M times and only is printed the messae sometimes and vary in every execution, its so strange, im compiling with these commands:

pgcpp -Mcudax86  -m64 -o ../../bin//release/cuGNG_base obj/x86_64/release/tmapas.cpp.o  obj/x86_64/release/cuGNG3D.cu.o      -L../../lib -L../../common/lib/ -L../../shared/lib -lcutil_x86_64 -lshrutil
_x86_64

Many thanks in advance, Sergio

Hi Sergio,

I don’t see anything wrong here but without a complete example it’s hard to tell what would be wrong. Can you either post or send the compete code to PGI Customer Support (trs@pgroup.com)? Ask them to forward it to me and I’ll take a look.

Thanks,
Mat