TK1, Jetpack 3.1, and Ubuntu 14.04 LTS EOL

Greetings,

It’s occurred to me that Jetpack 3.1 is Ubuntu 14.04 only. Ubuntu 14.04 is now EOL and cannot resolve dependencies, and as such, errors like this occur when attempting to use Jetpack 3.1:

/home/osboxes/Downloads//_installer/run_command  -c="apt-get -y --force-yes install g++-arm-linux-gnueabihf gcc-arm-linux-gnueabihf" -d=/home/osboxes/Downloads//_installer/tmp -l=/home/osboxes/Downloads/_installer/logs//install_gameworks_compilers.log
Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
E: Unable to locate package g++-arm-linux-gnueabihf
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'g++-arm-linux-gnueabihf'
E: Unable to locate package gcc-arm-linux-gnueabihf

This also means that Ubuntu 14.04 when installing on the TK1 (somehow), it can not use the “apt-get” command for any type of software development when using the board, unless it’s somehow upgraded to 16.04, which at best gives us an additional 2 years of development time for the TK1. The processors themselves, however, will be supported until 2024.

I suppose my question is this: How to proceed with a development environment for the TK1 (Devkit) currently and until the chip’s EOL?

I know I should have developed for the TK1 during its lifespan, but between running into limitation after limitation due to lack of support, we have reached a point where the ultimate limitation, an operating system EOL, and any efforts to update the kernel would result in the loss of using the GPU, meaning CUDA and hardware-accelerated OpenGL support would be nonexistent.

Still, I am wondering if compiling an OS from scratch would be better than keeping the EOL 14.04 and soon to be EOL 16.04 versions of Ubuntu on the TK1 SOC.