Trouble flashing new TX2 dev kit

Can you help me with a flashing problem with my new TX2 dev kit?
Ubuntu OS loaded and working
Forced recovery mode on:
lsusb -d 0955:7c18 = Bus 001 Device 008: ID 0955:7c18 NVidia Corp.
Jetson TX2 target hardware selected
Tried Jetpack 4.4 and 4.3.
I get the “Could not detect target hardware” popup dialog
Latest error from 4.4:

• 11:37:24 INFO : Flash Jetson TX2 : ###############################################################################
  • 11:37:24 INFO : Flash Jetson TX2 : # L4T BSP Information:
  • 11:37:24 INFO : Flash Jetson TX2 : # R32 , REVISION: 4.2
  • 11:37:24 INFO : Flash Jetson TX2 : ###############################################################################
  • 11:37:29 INFO : Flash Jetson TX2 : Error: probing the target board failed.
  • 11:37:29 INFO : Flash Jetson TX2 : Make sure the target board is connected through
  • 11:37:29 INFO : Flash Jetson TX2 : USB port and is in recovery mode.
  • 11:37:29 ERROR : Flash Jetson TX2 : [exec_command]: /bin/bash -c /tmp/tmp_NV_L4T_FLASH_TX2_WITH_OS_IMAGE_COMP.sh; [error]: exit status 1
  • 11:37:29 INFO : Flash Jetson TX2 : [ Component Install Finished with Error ]
  • 11:37:29 INFO : Flash Jetson TX2 : [ 12.00 KB used. Disk Avail: 169.58 GB ]
  • 11:37:29 INFO : Flash Jetson TX2 : [ NV_L4T_FLASH_TX2_WITH_OS_IMAGE_COMP Install took 5s ]
  • 11:37:29 ERROR : Flash Jetson TX2 : [error]: Run commands failed at step Install: command /tmp/tmp_NV_L4T_FLASH_TX2_WITH_OS_IMAGE_COMP.sh finished with error
  • 11:37:29 INFO : Flash Jetson TX2 :
  • 11:37:29 ERROR : Flash Jetson TX2 : command terminated with error
  • 11:37:29 ERROR : Flash Jetson TX2 : Install ‘Flash Jetson TX2’ failure, command < using adapter to install NV_L4T_FLASH_TX2_WITH_OS_IMAGE_COMP@JETSON_TX2 to /home/remotec/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/JetPack_4.4_DP_Linux_DP_JETSON_TX2 > terminated with error.
  • 11:37:29 INFO : Device Mode Host Setup in Target SDK : Install ‘Device Mode Host Setup in Target SDK’ Skipped
  • 11:37:29 INFO : DateTime Target Setup : Install ‘DateTime Target Setup’ Skipped
  • 11:37:29 INFO : CUDA Toolkit for L4T : Install ‘CUDA Toolkit for L4T’ Skipped
  • 11:37:29 INFO : cuDNN on Target : Install ‘cuDNN on Target’ Skipped
  • 11:37:29 INFO : TensorRT on Target : Install ‘TensorRT on Target’ Skipped
  • 11:37:29 INFO : OpenCV on Target : Install ‘OpenCV on Target’ Skipped
  • 11:37:29 INFO : VisionWorks on Target : Install ‘VisionWorks on Target’ Skipped
  • 11:37:29 INFO : VPI on Target : Install ‘VPI on Target’ Skipped
  • 11:37:29 INFO : NVIDIA Container Runtime with Docker integration (Beta) : Install ‘NVIDIA Container Runtime with Docker integration (Beta)’ Skipped
  • 11:37:29 INFO : Multimedia API : Install ‘Multimedia API’ Skipped

Are you using a VM? Are you using the supplied micro-B USB cable? VMs tend to fail USB, and charger cables tend to fail long data transfers.

No VM. Yes, using the supplied cable.
I can see it via the terminal lsusb command but it won’t flash
Is there another way to flash it?

Command line flash is a good test. If JetPack/SDKM has already set up the content to exist in “Linux_for_Tegra/rootfs/” (just use ls there to see if there is a full filesystem, or if it is empty other than a README), then you can cd to the “Linux_for_Tegra/” directory, connect the Jetson in recovery mode with the micro-B USB cable, and run this command (I am adding logging so you can post content if it fails):

sudo ./flash.sh jetson-tx2 mmcblk0p1 2>&1 | tee log_flash.txt

This will not add optional packages, but will only flash. If flash succeeds (and you will probably have to complete the first time boot setup, so have a monitor/keyboard attached), then you could use JetPack/SDKM to install optional packages (just uncheck flash). If flash fails, then we have confirmed a flash issue, and the flash log would help.

1 Like

command line OS flash was successful. Thanks

To install packages do I need to put Dev kit in recovery mode?

No recovery for package additions. These never get put in the rootfs image, they are directly copied to the Jetson via ssh when the Jetson is fully/normally booted and your ssh account works. The initial first boot setup should have completed that. Just boot normally, check that you can ssh from host to Jetson, and then you are good to go. Simply uncheck flash and any other operation or package you don’t want to add. I suggest not adding packages to the host PC in that step, and if you want anything on the host, do so in a separate step.

Btw, the sample code is a special case. The examples cause cross compile tools and source to be put on your host PC, then this is compiled, and finally copied over ssh to the Jetson.

SSH is working. SDKmanager said it downloaded files to Dev kit, but I don’t see them on Dev kit. It downloaded lots of .deb files in my Host folder. Do I need to SSH the files to the Dev kit and install?

Under Home, I see VisionWorks-SFM-0.90-Samples but nothing else. I had all SDK Components checked and it said they installed correctly.

Under L4T-README, I see .txt files and a version folder.

When ssh is used it doesn’t just copy files, it uses the package manager to add them (if in the form of a package, and many are). Much of the content will be somewhere under “/usr/local”, and not in the home directory. If you want to see what is installed via a package, using a case insensitive search, then you could do something like this:
dpkg -l | egrep -i 'visionworks'

If you want to see which package owns a particular file, then for example, to see the owner of “/bin/ls”:
dpkg -S /bin/ls

I would start by looking at “/usr/local”, and seeing what subdirectories there are there.