Trouble launching nvidia-settings

I get ERROR: Unable to load info from any available system when launching the nvidia-settings command.
I’ve looked around on the forums, and all solutions seem to be dealing with people using laptops and having issues with switching from the integrated graphics to discrete graphics.

I have two monitors: one connected to HDMI, and one connected to DisplayPort.

I’m running a desktop and the monitors are hooked up to the video card. nvidia-smi properly displays the card stats, including memory, load, etc. I’ve tried adding nvidia kernel modules to mkinitcpio, creating an "OutputClass" xorg.conf.d stanza, installing nvidia-dkms , you name it.

Right now I’ve reverted all of these, can’t seem to figure it out.

I’m using the xorg.conf generated by nvidia-xconfig.

I have the latest nvidia package installed.
I’m using the stock linux kernel.
Currently, my MODULES in mkinitcpio is empty.
nvidia kernel modules are getting loaded - checked with lsmod .

Output of lspci | grep "VGA\|3D":

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP106 [GeForce GTX 1060 6GB] (rev a1)

Output of xrandr --listproviders:

Providers: number : 1
Provider 0: id: 0x1b8 cap: 0x1, Source Output crtcs: 4 outputs: 4 associated providers: 0 name:NVIDIA-0

Output of glxinfo|grep render (first two lines):

direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB/PCIe/SSE2

Kernel (uname -r): 5.14.15-arch1-1

Not sure how much of this is relevant.

Please check if you’re running an x11 session and the DISPLAY variable is properly set
echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
echo $DISPLAY
who

$XDG_SESSION_TYPE: x11
$DISPLAY: :0
who: my_username tty7 2021-11-02 21:54 (:0)

Looks fine. Which distribution, desktop environment and nvidia driver are you using?

Archlinux, i3wm, nvidia 495.44

And what is ‘lsmod | grep nvidia’ saying ?

nvidia_drm 73728 13
nvidia_modeset 1155072 24 nvidia_drm
nvidia 36954112 1275 nvidia_modeset
drm_kms_helper 303104 1 nvidia_drm
drm 589824 17 drm_kms_helper,nvidia,nvidia_drm

Seems just fine as well…

Perhaps you could try installing the drivers without dkms, using NVIVIA’s driver *.run package, and see how it fares (you might have to uninstall your distro’s NVIDIA driver first).

I’m looking to use the nvidia package from the archlinux pacman repository. I shouldn’t have to use other sources, I’d like to use my system’s package manager. The archlinux wiki explicitly advises against installing the nvidia driver from the nvidia website manually.

I will try it for debugging purposes, of course. Should I uninstall the official nvidia package and reboot first?

For the download URL, can you point me in a direction of the runfile?

I never use the Linux distribution kernel and drivers package: I always customize my kernels for the machine they are running on, and I always install the NVIDIA drivers “manually”, via their official *.run package.

You may find the said packages in the Current graphics driver releases thread, or from NVIDIA’s drivers download page

You will need to uninstall your distro’s package first (as well as any corresponding nvidia-dkms package).

Please check your xorg logs if for “Initializing extension NV-CONTROL”
Please run nvidia-bug-report.sh as root and attach the resulting nvidia-bug-report.log.gz file to your post.

1 Like

I’ve replaced the package with a community one that uses the runfile from nvidia’s website and doesn’t include DKMS.

(PKGBUILD - aur.git - AUR Package Repositories)

This did not resolve the issue.

Yes, dkms sucks…

Well, here it is:

[ 6.237] (II) Initializing extension NV-CONTROL
[ 6.237] (EE) Not enabling extension NV-CONTROL: maximum number of events or errors exceeded.

So, that NV-CONTROL error gave me some info to work with, I’ve looked around and it seems that my VNC config for xorg was causing errors - after I removed it, nvidia-settings launch properly! Thanks @generix

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.