Trouble parallelizing Jaro-Winkler distance in CUDA

I am new to CUDA C/C++.

In a nutshell, I am trying to parallelize the computation of the Jaro-Winkler string distance of all pairs of strings between two vectors in CUDA.

I have implemented the Jaro-Winkler distance in C++, and it works perfectly well when I run it on the host.

%%cu

#include <iostream>

float jaro_winkler(const char *str1, const int len1, const char *str2, const int len2) {

// Description: This functionn computes the Jaro-Winkler distance between two strings
    //
    // Inputs:
    // - str1: first string
    // - len1: first string's length
    // - str2: second string
    // - len2: second string's length
    // 
    // Output:
    // - dist: Jaro-Winkler distance between str1 and str2

// If both strings are identical, tthe Jaro-Winkler distance between them is 1

if (str1 == str2) {

return 1.0;

} else {

// If either string is null, the Jaro-Winkler distance between str1 and str2 is 0

if (len1 == 0 || len2 == 0) {

return 0.0;

} else {

// We compute the number of matching characters between str1 and str2

// We consider the characters floor(max(len1, len2) / 2) - 1 away from each other

int max_dist = floor(max(len1, len2) / 2) - 1;

int match = 0;

int hash_s1[50] = { 0 }, hash_s2[50] = { 0 };

for (int i = 0; i < len1; i++) {

for (int j = max(0, i - max_dist); j < min(len2, i + max_dist) + 1; j++) {

if (str1[i] == str2[j] && hash_s2[j] == 0) {

// Two characters are matching if they appear in both strings at most max_dist characters away from each other

hash_s1[i] = 1;
                        hash_s2[j] = 1;
                        match++;
                        break;

}

}

}

// If there is no matching characters between both strings, the Jaro-Winkler distance between them is 0

if (match == 0) {

return 0.0;

} else {

// If a positive number of matching characters is found, we need to compute the number of transpositions, 
                // that is, the number of matching characters that are not in the right order divided by two

float t = 0;

int point = 0;

if (hash_s1[i] == 1) {

while (hash_s2[point] == 0) {

point++;

}

if (str1[i] != str2[point]) {

t++;

}

point++;

}

}

t /= 2;

// The Jaro distance between str1 and str2 is defined as follows:

float dist;

dist = (((float)match / (float)len1) + ((float)match / (float)len2) + (((float)match - t) / (float)match)) / 3.0;

// To go from the Jaro distance to the Jaro-Winkler distance, we need compute the length of 
                // the common prefix between both strings

int prefix = 0;

for (int i = 0; i < min(len1, len2); i++) {

if (str1[i] == str2[i]) {

prefix++;

} else {

break;

}

}

prefix = min(4, prefix);

// To obtain the Jaro-Winkler distance between str1 and str2, we need to adjust the Jaro distance for 
                // the length of the common prefix between both strings

dist += 0.1 * prefix * (1 - dist);

return dist;

}

}

}

}

int main() {

float dist = jaro_winkler("TRACE", 5, "TROUBLE", 7);

std::cout << dist;

return 0;

}

However, once I move it to the device (taking care of modifying mathematical functions), it does not work. No matter what I do, the function does not seem to do anything.

%%cu

#include <iostream>

__device__ float jaro_winkler(const char *str1, const int len1, const char *str2, const int len2) {

// Description: This functionn computes the Jaro-Winkler distance between two strings
    //
    // Inputs:
    // - str1: first string
    // - len1: first string's length
    // - str2: second string
    // - len2: second string's length
    // 
    // Output:
    // - dist: Jaro-Winkler distance between str1 and str2

// If both strings are identical, tthe Jaro-Winkler distance between them is 1

if (str1 == str2) {

return 1.0;

} else {

// If either string is null, the Jaro-Winkler distance between str1 and str2 is 0

if (len1 == 0 || len2 == 0) {

return 0.0;

} else {

// We compute the number of matching characters between str1 and str2

// We consider the characters floor(max(len1, len2) / 2) - 1 away from each other

int max_dist = floorf(max(len1, len2) / 2) - 1;

int match = 0;

int hash_s1[50] = { 0 }, hash_s2[50] = { 0 };

for (int j = max(0, i - max_dist); j < min(len2, i + max_dist) + 1; j++) {

if (str1[i] == str2[j] && hash_s2[j] == 0) {

// Two characters are matching if they appear in both strings at most max_dist characters away from each other

hash_s1[i] = 1;
                        hash_s2[j] = 1;
                        match++;
                        break;

}

}

}

// If there is no matching characters between both strings, the Jaro-Winkler distance between them is 0

if (match == 0) {

return 0.0;

} else {

// If a positive number of matching characters is found, we need to compute the number of transpositions, 
                // that is, the number of matching characters that are not in the right order divided by two

float t = 0;

int point = 0;

if (hash_s1[i] == 1) {

while (hash_s2[point] == 0) {

point++;

}

if (str1[i] != str2[point]) {

t++;

}

point++;

}

}

t /= 2;

// The Jaro distance between str1 and str2 is defined as follows:

float dist;

dist = (((float)match / (float)len1) + ((float)match / (float)len2) + (((float)match - t) / (float)match)) / 3.0;

// To go from the Jaro distance to the Jaro-Winkler distance, we need compute the length of 
                // the common prefix between both strings

int prefix = 0;

for (int i = 0; i < min(len1, len2); i++) {

if (str1[i] == str2[i]) {

prefix++;

} else {

break;

}

}

prefix = min(4, prefix);

// To obtain the Jaro-Winkler distance between str1 and str2, we need to adjust the Jaro distance for 
                // the length of the common prefix between both strings

dist += 0.1 * prefix * (1 - dist);

return dist;

}

}

}

}

__global__ void jaro_winkler_kernel(const char *str1[], const int len1[], int n1, const char *str2[], const int len2[], int n2, float *output) {

const int x = threadIdx.x + blockDim.x * blockIdx.x;

const int y = threadIdx.y + blockDim.y * blockIdx.y;

// We compute the Jaro-Winkler distance between str1[x] and str2[y] and return it to a flattened vector

output[x * n2 + y] = jaro_winkler(str1[x], len1[x], str2[y], len2[y]);

}

int main(void) {

float output[4];

float *d_output;

cudaMalloc((void**)&d_output, 4 * sizeof(float));

const char *string[] = {"TRACE", "TROUBLE"};

const int len[] = {5, 7};

dim3 dimGrid(2, 2);

jaro_winkler_kernel<<<1, dimGrid>>>(string, len, 2, string, len, 2, d_output);

cudaMemcpy(&output, d_output, 4 * sizeof(float), cudaMemcpyDeviceToHost);

std::cout << output[1];

}

I would be grateful for any advice or guidance on this problem.

In CUDA, device code is not allowed to dereference a host pointer. When you use arrays such as string and len as arguments to supply pointer parameters, those array names decay to a pointer to host memory. Your attempt to use string and len directly (i.e. dereference them) in device code is therefore illegal.

Just as you have created an output array that is properly located in device memory (d_output) rather than trying to use output directly, you will also need to copy the data in string and len to properly allocated device memory, and then pass the pointers to those device memory locations to your kernel, just as you passed the d_output pointer to device memory to your kernel.

This is a fairly basic concept in CUDA programming. You can get an orderly introduction to CUDA via this online training series and also studying a basic sample code like vectorAdd will show you how a program like yours ought to be structured.

Finally, a good starting point for debug is to run your code with compute-sanitizer. This would have given you a possible starting point for debugging your code. See here for a basic example of usage, and also note that unit 12 of the previously linked online training series covers debugging. I also recommend proper CUDA error checking any time you are having trouble with a CUDA code.

Side remark: It is best to avoid unnecessary mixing of integer and floating-point computation. I see no reason why

couldn’t be just

int max_dist = max (len1, len2) / 2 - 1;

since len1 and len2 are presumably both ≥ 0 and integer division in C++ truncates the quotient (that is, rounds towards zero), which for numbers ≥ 0 is equivalent to flooring it (that is, rounding towards negative infinity).

Thank you! I followed your advice, and it worked perfectly well.

Is it currently supported to pass a custom allocator to a std::string container that forces its memory allocation to reside in managed memory - allowing use of the container on both the host and device side?

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.