Trouble with bitmaps in VRAY material

Hello!
I have an issue with bitmaps not mapping correctly when i open the material in Unreal. When I open the same scene in Create it looks fine. The material is a VRAY material created in 3ds Max with bitmaps connected to the diffuse, reflect and bump maps.

1 Like

Axel, thanks for reporting this. It looks like the material import completely failed, not just the textures. I know that we’ve had issues with importing the VRAY 3ds Max materials into Unreal, so I’d like to chase this down with you. I will ask around the teams for a sample internally to triage, but if you could provide a simple example of your material and textures here we could maybe address your issue most efficiently.

[Edit] I have this exact mesh and material and have reproduced it. It’s logged as OM-31854 and we’ll get to fixing it.

It looks like we have a solution. If you dig into your exported MDLs you’ll find templates/ad_3dsmax_maps.mdl. If you go to the max_rotation_translation_scale function and edit the annotations to remove anno::noinline() then Unreal can successfully import the MDLs for this table. We’ll work on fixing the issue in the 3dsMax Connector.

Change:

[[
        anno::description("Construct transformation matrix from Euler rotation, translation and scale"),
        anno::noinline()
]]

to:

[[
        anno::description("Construct transformation matrix from Euler rotation, translation and scale")
]]

NOTE the removal of the comma on the description line.

2 Likes