TU117 Encoder Session limit

In the Turing NVENC matrix there is a Turing GPU TU117 that has two different answers depending on which ‘card’ is looked at.
For example, the T1000 shows a limit of 3 and the T2000 shows unrestricted.

The Pascal P2000 shows unrestricted as well and is a ‘lesser card’ than a T1000.
Is there a way to allow more sessions on a T1000 which remains as a single slot solution?

Welcome back @mike.dotson , it has been a while!

There are many reasons why for some variants of our HW there are restrictions in place in terms of how many NVENC sessions you can have running concurrently. If you look at the other details you will see that all the chips you listed have the same NVENC 6th gen HW and also the same amount of chips. So one of the reasons of limited concurrency is simply performance and power differences of the specific SKUs.

To answer your question, the only way to change the session limit is through firmware and driver changes.

I hope you will still be able to put your T1000 to good use!

Hi Markus,

We do perform VBIOS updates as they get released so appling those is easy for use.

What would help us is how do we get a VBIOS that has the restriction of 3 released and made unlimited?

image596432.png

Hi again,

NVIDIA only releases official firmware patches for critical fixes and I do not think that this counts as such, since this constraint is a design feature, not a bug.
There are many reasons for certain restrictions besides the ones I mentioned, most of which I am not at liberty to disclose here.

I asked about the VBIOS because we work very closely with Dell and we know they have a special VBIOS for their version even though the hardware is exactly the same.

If there is an official process to get a custom VBIOS, that would be interesting.

image596432.png

On an individual developer level there is no process for this. For Enterprise customers you will have to go either through your official supplier of the Quadro cards or the card manufacturer and inquire if this level of support is possible. In any other cases you will have to work with our Enterprise support.