TX1 Jetpack, L4T 23, CUDA 7 online availability?

Greetings,

I have been looking for software for the TX1 online but haven’t found any.
Has this been posted yet?
I’m wanting the kernel source for L4T 23 3.10.67, as well as CUDA 7 and VisionWorks, etc…

Thanks,

These will all be uploaded here Monday morning (11/16): https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded-computing
I’ll let you know once they go live.

Ok, here we go:

L4T Release Page – https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/linux-tegra
VisionWorks - https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/visionworks
JetPack - https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/jetson-development-pack

L4T R23.1 kernel sources are provided.

Thank you,

If I do not have a ubuntu pc how can I flash it?

Running an Ubuntu 14.04 x86_64 image is highly-recommended for the flashing procedure. If you don’t already have a Linux desktop, and are trying to avoid setting up dual-boot, you can first try running Ubuntu from within a virtual machine. Although convenient, flashing from VM is technically unsupported — warning in advance that while flashing from within VM, you may encounter issues such as the flashing not completing or freezing during transfer. Chances will be improved if you remove any USB hubs or long cables in between your Jetson and the host machine.

The next logical step would be to boot your desktop/laptop machine off Ubuntu LiveCD or USB stick (using unetbootin tool or similar).

Finally, if you have an extra HDD partition, you can install Ubuntu as dual-boot alongside Windows. Flashing natively from within Ubuntu is the supported and recommended method for flashing successfully. It may be wise to just start working on dual-boot method from the start, otherwise you may end up wasting more time trying to get the other (potentially more convenient, but unsupported) methods to work.

Note that you can’t flash from the Jetson itself, because the Tegra chip must be booted into special recovery mode for the flashing to work. This is done by holding down the ‘Force Recovery’ button while pressing ‘Reset’.

I personally use Fedora on my x86_64 host. Note that what is mandatory is a 64-bit linux host for flash, not necessarily being Ubuntu. The package bundling in JetPack is extremely convenient, but each package is available for separate download and install. Flashing itself is not difficult without JetPack…it can be a bit daunting trying to hunt down and correctly install all of the other packages manually.

Of particular interest, the host 64-bit side is actually the more difficult issue when not using that particular Ubuntu. You’ll need the nVidia linux graphics driver as a prerequisite for CUDA and many other host-side installs, but the most recent Fedora 23 (and I believe even the most recent Ubuntu) use an X11 server with an ABI that has not had nVidia x86 graphics drivers adapted to yet…to install the nVidia graphics driver could require downgrading X11 and the X11 input drivers on the x86 host prior to installing non-nouveau nVidia host drivers…this is a somewhat challenging task for host side packages.

The Jetson side of the lesson: If you wish to use a non-Ubuntu 14.x LTS linux host for flashing and have downloaded individual packages, it’s easy to install everything on the Jetson itself without JetPack, including flashing.

The x86_64 host side of the lesson: If your non-Ubuntu host runs a supported X11 ABI, then a bit of work to manually download and install proper host packages is reasonable as well, but not without effort. The x86 host CUDA prerequisite effort to install nVidia graphics drivers versus the free nouveau graphics drivers on hosts with an older supported X11 ABI provides a generally higher quality graphical desktop even if no host side CUDA is ever used (which I’d recommend even if not a CUDA developer). If the X11/Xorg ABI needs downgrading first, you’re not out of luck, but you have a lot of tricky work to do in order to put in the prerequisite X11 graphics driver (and backing up your system first would be advised). Once that Xorg ABI is in place (either by preexisting or downgrading) you should be able to at least manually install any of the x86 host individual packages.

Further host side information…
I know this x86 host side Xorg ABI requires downgrading for nVidia graphics driver install at the time of this note (see /var/log/Xorg.0.log…this one is from the latest Fedora 23):

[    34.547] (II) Module ABI versions:
[    34.547]    X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.4
[    34.547]    X.Org Video Driver: 20.0
[    34.547]    X.Org XInput driver : 22.1
[    34.547]    X.Org Server Extension : 9.0

I know this much older x86 host side Xorg ABI works with existing nVidia graphics driver install at the time of this note (this one is from an older Fedora 19):

[    39.379] (II) Module ABI versions:
[    39.379]    X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.4
[    39.379]    X.Org Video Driver: 14.1
[    39.379]    X.Org XInput driver : 19.2
[    39.379]    X.Org Server Extension : 7.0

…at which newer ABI x86 host graphics drivers no longer exist I don’t know. It’s somewhere between the two ABIs shown above.

It is possible to flash the Tegra Board without having a Linux machine directly. You can just use a virtual machine.

See here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/40287295/how-to-upgrade-the-nvidia-tegra-tx1-with-a-windows-machine/40287296#40287296