TX1 won't boot into recovery mode, wlan0 not detected

I’m trying to reflash a TX1 that has previously been successfully flashed numerous times, but now it won’t boot into recovery mode. The board still boots into ubuntu, accessible via eth0.

Before I noticed the recovery mode issue, I was trying to setup a wifi access point following these instructions: Setting up wifi Access Point on TX1 - Jetson TX1 - NVIDIA Developer Forums, however I couldn’t get the AP to function. WHile trying to get the access point working, wlan0 stopped working, and is no longer detected by the kernel during boot up as shown by the following dmesg output.

~$ dmesg |grep wlan
[ 0.159335] Removing Prop nvidia,pmc-wakeup from target /bcmdhd_wlan
[ 0.218983] GPIO line 58 (wlan-default-input-h2) hogged as input
[ 0.219032] GPIO line 65 (wlan-default-input-i1) hogged as input
[ 0.219077] GPIO line 56 (wlan-default-output-high-h0) hogged as output/high
[ 0.219126] GPIO line 64 (wlan-default-output-high-i0) hogged as output/high

I had decided to reflash to Jetpack 3.1 and start fresh to get the access point working, but after failing to get the board into recovery mode after a few dozen attempts, I’m not sure what to try next? I already tried redownloading and installing Jetpack fresh from the .run file, and tried flashing from both my laptop and desktop that have previously flashed jetson boards without issue.

This is dmesg output from a normally functioning TX1 that shows wlan detected.

~$ dmesg |grep wlan
[ 0.159334] Removing Prop nvidia,pmc-wakeup from target /bcmdhd_wlan
[ 0.210317] GPIO line 58 (wlan-default-input-h2) hogged as input
[ 0.210365] GPIO line 65 (wlan-default-input-i1) hogged as input
[ 0.210411] GPIO line 56 (wlan-default-output-high-h0) hogged as output/high
[ 0.210457] GPIO line 64 (wlan-default-output-high-i0) hogged as output/high
[ 7.338887] found wifi platform device bcmdhd_wlan
[ 7.962472] Register interface [wlan0] MAC: 00:04:4b:79:be:19

Is the cable the original…if not, is it really a micro-B cable and not just for charging?

Yes, I’ve tried two different original Nvidia usb cables.

The 2-pin header J9 adds an alternate access to the equivalent of the force recovery button. Under the possibility that it is the button itself which is bad you might want to try holding this connector shorted during reset or power up the same way you would temporarily hold the recovery button down. Pin 1 is just ground, and pin 2 being shorted to ground is exactly equivalent to holding the recovery button down. See if that works. If not, it may be time for RMA.

If you do need to RMA you can still clone the root partition by booting to an alternate media and using dd…which probably means you’ll need a serial console cable.