TX2 Developer Kit Cluster Powering

Hello all!

I am working with a team to create an 8-Jetson cluster to show use at a showcase soon. We have the majority of the features figured out except how to power it.

I have looked around and have found a power supply that seems to work [1]. The only issue is that we do not know how to wire it.

Does anyone have any advice on how to wire them?

[1] - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LIBRKQM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can’t answer for this specific case, but are you using a custom carrier? With the dev carrier you have just a single power in, and all 8 Jetsons could be put in parallel and then to the 13.8V side (I’d actually recommend going to the 15V upper end setting).

On the other hand, if this is a switching supply it might not be able to become stable enough to correctly regulate under lighter loads. It might shut itself down or just become unstable if it is switching. I can’t tell anything about that power supply, it might not even be switching, or it might be that it was designed to handle lighter loads. Find out if it is switching or linear. If switching, find out if it has issues at low loads.

In all cases the moment of turning on power needs to be stable. Momentary very short droops in voltage can be a problem when power goes on. One way to fight this is to have a high capacitance very close to the carrier, e.g, 10,000uF. Be careful to use sufficiently high diameter (low gauge) wiring.