TX2 has error starting on self-made carrier board

We made our own TX2 board and modified many peripherals. We took the TX2 module from the original development board(P2597-C02) and installed it on the self-made carrier board. We encountered some problems during startup.
I hope to get some guidance to solve the problem quickly.
I just want to modify the device tree to fit the new carrier.
In addition, I also want to confirm whether the modules taken from NVIDIA’s original development board can be used on the self-made carrier board?
Thank you very much for your advice!!

You’ll need to provide a serial console boot log before anyone will be able to help. Whatever device tree modifications you made would probably also be useful information. Basically one has to know at which point in boot the system failed, and for custom carrier boards, the physical changes need to be reflected in changes to the device tree. Knowing the point of failure in boot allows identifying hardware (and thus device tree) issues.

err log1.txt (61.3 KB) err log2.txt (59.1 KB) normal log1.txt (75.5 KB) normal log2.txt (75.2 KB)

Description of similarities:

1. TX2 module uses the same kernel, device tree and root file system
    Difference Description:
  2. NVIDIA’s original development board uses USB to TTL. The access to the serial console is normal.
  3. The self-made carrier board is the UART0 pin of the module, which is converted to 3.3V through level conversion, then to RS232 level, then connected to the USB to RS232 line, and connected to the serial port console
  4. Self made carrier board, RS232 power supply timing lag, leading to the front of the serial console a small amount of information collection is not complete.
  5. Self made carrier board, after startup, keyboard input for many times

fixed tty0.txt (166.7 KB)

The access fault of serial port console has been eliminated. The reason is that there is ESD behind RS232, which causes the level to be limited. After ESD is removed, the log information is as above.
At this time, the display shows the green NVIDIA icon, which can not enter the desktop normally. The schematic diagram of the drive part is consistent with that of the original development board. Please guide the content of the equipment tree that needs to be modified.

How are you determining boot failure? I see i2c errors related to HDMI (the monitor is queried using i2c, which provides the EDID data), which implies video would not be able to determine monitor characteristics. I do see reaching text mode boot, which is not a boot failure so much as it is a video configuration error.

I am not the right one to answer custom board design, but you do need to check that power rails for i2c related to monitor EDID query are up. Anything else required to talk to the monitor’s DDC wire also needs to be routed correctly, and if your DDC wiring differs in some way from the default reference board, then you should check that the device tree was adjusted for this.

Example from “normal log 1”:

[0001.965] I> enabling 'vdd-hdmi' regulator
[0001.979] I> regulator 'vdd-hdmi' already enabled
[0001.984] I> hdmi cable connected
[0001.991] I> setting 'vdd-pex-1v00' regulator to 1000000 micro volts
[0002.001] I> setting 'vdd-1v8' regulator to 1800000 micro volts
[0002.007] I> found one nvdisp nodes at offset = 106180
[0002.014] E> i2c dev read failed

Could you list how many problems do you have? Different I/O have different problems to resolve.

If you have USB issues, please refer to TX2 adaptation guide.

I’m sorry ,I can’t reply in the forum recently because of network problem. the problem is almost fixed, this topics can be closed.