TX2 remote upgrade from network

Official BUP can support upgrade of some images from network, but root filesystem(system.img) cannot.
Is there any official method to upgrade rootfs partition from network?

hello allen.yan,

please refer to l4t-r32.3.1 developer guide, Over-the-Air (OTA) Update.
you may also refer to Topic 1068980 for some Q&As of JetPack-4.3 OTA update.
thanks

Hey Jerry,

Already go through the guide and this thread.

There are two questions:

1. OTA feature is Debian package upgrade, but can it support upgrade of full rootfs partition(system.img)?
  2. If no, It would be pure OS image plus “apt-get install nvidia-jetpack”?
    For newer release, will use “sudo apt update;sudo apt upgrade” to sync latest release, right?
    For personal package, need to setup a private APT debian server for management?

Thanks

hello allen.yan,

1. OTA software update will check all upgradeable packages, if you perform $ sudo apt upgrade it’ll also check ubuntu servers. you might also check the list of Basic Packages for L4T for Nvidia repository.

2. $ apt-get install nvidia-jetpack commands will install nvidia components, such as CUDA, TensorRT,…etc.
    you may execute $ sudo apt-cache show nvidia-jetpack to review the packages details.

3. you could setup a private server to maintain your own debian packages, please also update the source list to redirect the package linkage.

Hey Jerry,

Thanks for the reply.
But what about stuff of rootfs partition.
Currently jetpack only supports upgrading rootfs thru USB, but not thru network.
Can it support ethernet ? Any plan for it?

hello allen.yan,

assume you’re mention post-installed user-space applications.
you should execute $ sudo apt list --upgradeable; then you’ll found all packages for updates.
it’s same as ubutnu update process, if you have a try to enable Ubuntu Software GUI to have updates also.
thanks

Hello Jerry,

I am not talking about post-installed package only.
Just want to know if it’s possible to upgrade full rootfs partition including default OS image and post-installed package by ethernet?
Maybe by u-boot or something. I don’t find any doc about it.

hello allen.yan,

it’s ubuntu default features, you may also check tutorials for reference, Upgrade Ubuntu Desktop.
please also check the /etc/apt/sources.list to review all available archive servers.
thanks

Hello Jerry,

I knew “apt” relative things.
You may misunderstand my question.
My question is how to upgrade “system.img” (generated by flash.sh) from ethernet.
Will Nvidia support it officially or not?

hello allen.yan,

the short answer is, yes.

more details as below…
please note that JetPack-4.3 installation include a reference file system derived from Ubuntu 18.04.
there’re also L4T driver package (BSP), several nvidia components, tools…etc to compose a system.img.
let’s taking an example, assume JetPack-4.4 is now available,
you could perform software upgrade through ethernet from JetPack-4.3 to JetPack-4.4.
it will same as you have JetPack-4.4 installation by flashing the board.
thanks