TX2 unable to finish initial flash install

I’ve been trying for two weeks to flash my new board. It keeps failing in post install due to issues with ssh.

My first question is, what is the root password? Nvidia:nvidia doesn’t have sufficient privileges nor does ubuntu:ubuntu.

Up on receipt of the board, it was able to recognize usb. Now it does not.

I am new to Linux. I can ssh to the board (no as a super user). Can someone please help me (link to a general guide) with commands to re enable us?

I think I can complete manual install of cuda once the sudo password is figured out.

Or is this board bricked?

I typed this off my mobile device. I meant to say re enable usb not us.

Linux in general can give individual users root privileges by prefixing commands with “sudo”. If you were to give the root password to each user, then locking out one user would imply needing to lock out everyone. The solution is to use sudo where each user which is in the adm group uses their own password for running something sudo…you could then lock out just the one user by removing them from group adm or by locking that one user account.

Ubuntu takes a somewhat annoying approach of thinking security is increased by not allowing root login and instead only allowing sudo. Users “nvidia” and “ubuntu” are members of group adm, so they do not have root privileges by default, but can use sudo with their own password and access anything root can access. Ubuntu has root account locked out…this is a purely Ubuntu thing unrelated to Jetsons.

Trivia: It is possible to give different users only a subset of commands using sudo, but group adm is a “catch-all” group with all root commands available. Using this you could for example give a web administrator a chown and chmod access without giving them abilities to create and remove accounts.

So you can for example run ls as root by “sudo ls”. You can drop into a root shell and have all of your future commands run as root until you use “exit” to exit the root shell via:

sudo -s

Default name/pass with adm group: “nvidia”/“nvidia”, “ubuntu”/“ubuntu”. This implies that if your Jetson ever touches a public network you need to immediate change the passwords for those accounts…you might get hacked within minutes on a busy network. If you’ve ever enabled firewall and other security logging and brought up a machine on a public network you’d be shocked at how fast port scanning hits.

In any case where an instruction for flash says to use “sudo” on the host you must use this…if not, then flash will appear to succeed, but the files flashed will not be entirely valid. Some commands may not work, and other parts of the system could be completely missing. If sudo is not listed as needed, then don’t use it, this could cause other problems later when files expected to be owned as your regular user suddenly get restricted to root-only access.

Note that flash has succeeded on your system. Post install use of ssh is unrelated to flash. The fact that the network even pings or has ssh access implies a full flash. JetPack does flash using the driver package over the micro-B USB cable. Networking is only used after a flashed Jetson reboots and networking and extra optional packages are being set up. By default most computers on most operating systems (not just Jetsons, not just Ubuntu, not just Linux) send a DHCP request out which a router must reply to and give an address to the computer. Issues with post install addressing implies you need to know the address assigned by the router.

Perhaps a more specific listing of the error you are getting would help.

NOTE: You can run JetPack at any time and deal with extra packages without flashing. Just check or uncheck the options you are interested in as needed. Consider flash and extra packages a separate step even if the GUI can do them all in one session.

Thanks for the reply. sudo failed to work, which is why I was asking for the root password.

I will log back into Ubuntu after I finish up some work to get you more specific error details.

Also, I find it odd that the Jetson no longer recognizes my usb (I tried to hook up a keyboard). I am hoping the post flash installs will resolve this. Again, I will reply back with more specific details. Thank you so much for the detailed reply.

If sudo fails it probably means the install was incorrect. sudo must be used in certain steps, and if it isn’t, it isn’t possible to preserve necessary permissions. Also, a native Linux ext4 type file system is mandatory, and some people have used a flash drive or other drive not formatted with a Linux file system type…this also breaks sudo.

Did you use command line flash or JetPack? If command line, then you must use sudo to:

1. Unpack sample rootfs.
  2. Run apply_binaries.sh.
  3. Run flash.sh.