Tx2 Wifi doesnt work after camera driver installation

Hi Folks,

I installed plugged in sony IMX 274 (dual camera adaptor from leopard imaging) on Tx2 and installed leopard drivers for that camera. After that my WiFi is not working. I guess I might have made some critical installation error.

Upon some initial debugging, I see following -

1. rfkill list command returns nothing

2. NetwowrkManager.state seems sane.
cat /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.sate

[main]
NetworkingEnabled=true
WirelessEnabled=true
WWANEnabled=true

3. sudo iwconfig
lo            no wireless extensions.

dummy0        no wireless extensions.

eth0          no wireless extensions.

Please help.

Thanks,

This won’t answer the question, but is probably needed for initial debugging. Was the driver installed as a module?

Are there any errors from this:

sha1sum -c /etc/nv_tegra_release

Has the kernel base image (not modules) been changed at any point? What is:

uname -r

Hi Linuxdev

Thanks for helping out. I believe driver was installed as modules.

sha1sum -c /etc/nv_tegra_release

does not report any error.

uname -r says -

4.4.15-tegra-leopard

I was also helped by Simon from leopard. It seems I forgot to copy few modules files to Tx2 /lib/modules. Now I am looking for a way copy those files from my host to Tx2. However I am in chicken and egg situation. As I do not have WiFi driver/module - I cannot copy data into Tx2. Tried using USB - but I guess I am missing those dirver/module files too. I guess I have those modules files in EMMC - is there a way for me to temporarily load wifi or usb modules from EMMC ?

Thanks

So the kernel is customized for the Leopard Imaging board. The copy of modules will need to be to somewhere under “/lib/modules/4.4.15-tegra-leopard/kernel/”.

USB does not work the same as a network connection, it would take quite some setup to make it function that way over a cable. A removable USB device (thumb drive, external disk, so on) would work. Or the SD card could be used. Is USB completely failing? Basically it should just work if modules are in the right place…and if not, then you can just use “sudo cp” to copy…I’m not really sure that I understand the issue since I don’t know what connectivity you have, nor do I have info on what connectors and peripherals there are on that carrier board.

Hi Linuxdev,

Sorry about giving cluttered picture out. My wifi driver, or USB driver or ethernet driver is missing. Thus I have no way to get data from ‘external’ world.

I need to get new files (from ‘external’ world) somewhere under “/lib/modules/4.4.15-tegra-leopard/kernel” as you alluded to.

I found a way to get data in using SD card. First I unplugged SD card, boot Tx2 from its EMMC, then plugged SD card in. Then I copied data (kernel files) under /lib/modules/4.4.15-tegra-leopard/, then I did shut down. After shutting it down I powered it up again, such that it would boot from SD card now. What I find is that, Tx2 undergoes boot process and somewhere in middle of the boot, it would reboot again. It keeps on rebooting. I guess something is wrong with the data I copied.

Is it important who (which user) is ‘owner’ of data copied from external world to /lib/modules/4.4.15-tegra-leopard ?

Thanks,

Normally that is owned by root. If there is an error reading it, then there is a problem, but I doubt having another user (such as ubuntu) own those files would have any effect…the files could still be read by root.

One thing which can get in the way is if the modules are not in the correct subdirectory (normally it is a subdirectory of “kernel/drivers/” which matches the subdirectory in the kernel tree). Another is if there is some kernel versioning being enforced and something is compiled with a wrong version. If everything is acceptable, then you might need to run “sudo depmod -a”. You can always use “sudo insmod <module_name>” to manually see what happens when you insert the module.

Do remove the SD card before reboot…you don’t want it to grab the SD as root partition if you’ve added the files to eMMC.

Hi Linuxdev,

1. I copied modules from leopard in /lib/modules/4.4.15-tegra-leopard.

Yes there is kernel/drivers directory in there. I am not sure it has all drivers -

/media/ubuntu/SDRoot/lib/modules/4.4.15-tegra-leopard/kernel/drivers$ lt
total 24
drwxrwxr-x 2 root nvidia 4096 Jul 9 00:55 bluetooth
drwxrwxr-x 5 root nvidia 4096 Jul 9 00:55 media
drwxrwxr-x 2 root nvidia 4096 Jul 9 00:55 misc
drwxrwxr-x 5 root nvidia 4096 Jul 9 00:55 net
drwxrwxr-x 3 root nvidia 4096 Jul 9 00:55 pci
drwxrwxr-x 3 root nvidia 4096 Jul 9 00:55 video

1. sudo depmod - a does not seem to give anything
    ubuntu@tegra-ubuntu:/media/ubuntu/SDRoot/lib/modules/4.4.15-tegra-leopard/kernel/drivers$ sudo depmod -a
    [sudo] password for ubuntu:

2. I am able to pull out SD card, and then boot. In such case it would boot from eMMC and it gets all drivers and wifi comesup correctly. The problem is in booting from SD card

3. I do not understand sudo insmod <module_name> command. Particularly, I am not sure how to manually insert wifi module , when it constantly reboots.

4. I am thinking may be I should just format SD card and make it bootable all over again.

No output from depmod implies no error was encountered. It does not necessarily mean your driver was seen, but if it is in the right place, this should make the driver visible for insert at boot.

If the system is not up long enough to use the insmod, then I don’t know what to tell you for whether it is that module or something else causing the problem. If you are able to insmod, then it probably means all of the basics are correct.

About the only advice is to try to create your SD card without any modifications first. Only then try to add the module. It’s hard to say exactly what to do without sitting down there and watching the procedure for building your SD card and other steps, especially since I know nothing about the leopard modifications.