TypeError: coercing to Unicode: need string or buffer, NoneType found

I get this error when I run To generate a single-spec BUP:

File "/home/panjiazhuang/tx2-32-5.2/Linux_for_Tegra/bootloader/BUP_generator.py", line 649, in <module>
    main(param)
  File "/home/panjiazhuang/tx2-32-5.2/Linux_for_Tegra/bootloader/BUP_generator.py", line 642, in main
    generate_BUP(arg)
  File "/home/panjiazhuang/tx2-32-5.2/Linux_for_Tegra/bootloader/BUP_generator.py", line 163, in generate_BUP
    payload_obj.fill_image(blob)
  File "/home/panjiazhuang/tx2-32-5.2/Linux_for_Tegra/bootloader/BUP_generator.py", line 271, in fill_image
    binary_handle = open(entry_info[0], 'rb')
TypeError: coercing to Unicode: need string or buffer, NoneType found

The command I ran was:

sudo./build_l4t_bup.sh jetson-tx2-devkit mmcblk0p1

Please help me see, thank you

I tried To generate a multi-spec BUP again, but still got an error:

*** Sign and generate BUP... *** 
t18x payload generation complete with 8 failure(s)

SUCCESS: cleaned up BUP tmp files prior to payload creation
FAILURE: no payload made for config "boardid=3310;fab=B00;boardsku=;boardrev=;fuselevel_s=1;chiprev=0;board=jetson-tx2-devkit;rootdev=mmcblk0p1"
FAILURE: no payload made for config "boardid=3310;fab=B01;boardsku=;boardrev=;fuselevel_s=1;chiprev=0;board=jetson-tx2-devkit;rootdev=mmcblk0p1"
FAILURE: no payload made for config "boardid=3310;fab=B00;boardsku=;boardrev=;fuselevel_s=1;chiprev=0;board=jetson-tx2-as-4GB;rootdev=mmcblk0p1"
FAILURE: no payload made for config "boardid=3310;fab=B01;boardsku=;boardrev=;fuselevel_s=1;chiprev=0;board=jetson-tx2-as-4GB;rootdev=mmcblk0p1"
FAILURE: no payload made for config "boardid=3489;fab=200;boardsku=;boardrev=;fuselevel_s=1;chiprev=0;board=jetson-tx2-devkit-tx2i;rootdev=mmcblk0p1"
FAILURE: no payload made for config "boardid=3489;fab=300;boardsku=;boardrev=;fuselevel_s=1;chiprev=0;board=jetson-tx2-devkit-tx2i;rootdev=mmcblk0p1"
FAILURE: no payload made for config "boardid=3489;fab=300;boardsku=;boardrev=;fuselevel_s=1;chiprev=0;board=jetson-tx2-devkit-4gb;rootdev=mmcblk0p1"
FAILURE: no payload made for config "boardid=3636;fab=300;boardsku=0001;boardrev=;fuselevel_s=1;chiprev=0;board=jetson-xavier-nx-devkit-tx2-nx;rootdev=mmcblk0p1"
SUCCESS: cleaned up BUP tmp files after payload creation

My command is:

sudo ./l4t_generate_soc_bup.sh t18x

Sorry, just now I saw that generating a multi-specification BUP also has the same error as single specification;
I guess the question should be the same, please help me see, thank you

Hi panjiazhuang,

Are you using the devkit or custom board for TX2?
What’s your Jetpack version in use?

Do you want to update the bootloader for your board?

Please share the full log when you run this command.

hi KevinFFF
Mine is not a custom board;
jetpack is 32.5.2;
log as follows:
log.txt (195.7 KB)

Please run the following command instead.

$ sudo ./l4t_generate_soc_bup.sh -b jetson-tx2-devkit t18x

hello, KevinFFF
I have generated the bup package, but now I have a question;

if I package the bup package, and put it in the corresponding position of the target board, and finally use the nv_update_engine --install command to update, update is another slot, right? That is, I am currently in slot 0, then I execute the update command to update slot 1; Is that correct?

If what I said above is correct, then the next question is, if I have updated and the current slot is also the updated slot, should it be possible for me to use the flash.sh script to update eks or tos separately at this time? But now I use nv_update_engine --install after the update is done; Using flash.sh to update the tos or eks partition alone will not help, the script will report that the update is complete, but the serial log will not change

Yes, it will update the unused slot and boot from it after update.

May I know what’s your use case to update eks partiton?
Please share the logs for further check.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.