U-M research undergrad optimizing 2-D CUDA code Sorry to everyone who frequents the Mac OS X forums,

This is a re-post of an earlier topic. I have a test code that gives me the right answer, but very, very slowly–I’m talking kiloflops. Here are some of my novice issues:

:: One problem seems to be in my grid and block dimensioning; I’ve been experimenting, but nothing really seems to help.

:: I’m not sure I’ve coalesced the threads of the matrix yet.

:: On top of this, I have a sneaking suspicion I should be using “if” rather than “for” statements in the CUDA kernel…but so far all tries (none of which are implemented in the version below) have yielded garbage answers (This angle looks especially promising for increasing the speed, but I have no way of confirming this).

Could anyone show me the solutions for one or more of these problems? (feel free to have me clarify anything). Thanks!

[codebox]// # include <stdio.h>

include <stdlib.h>

include <cuda.h>

global void FILENAME(float *VAR_device, float *ANS_device, size_t pitch, size_t pitch, unsigned int stride, int N)

{

extern shared float data;

int x = blockIdx.x*blockDim.x+threadIdx.x;

int y = blockIdx.y*blockDim.y+threadIdx.y;

for (x=0; x<1; x++)

{

for (y=0; y<N; y++)

{

ANS_device[y*stride + x] = VAR_device[y*stride + x];

}

}

for (x=N-1; x<N; x++)

{

for (y=0; y<N; y++)

{

ANS_device[y*stride + x] = VAR_device[y*stride + x];

}

}

for (x=1; x<N-1; x++)

{

for (y=0; y<N; y++)

{

ANS_device[y*stride + x] = 0.25*VAR_device[y*stride + x - 1] + 0.5*VAR_device[y*stride + x] + 0.25*VAR_device[y*stride + x + 1];

}

}

}

int main()

{

float *ANS_device, *VAR_device;

int N = 16;

float VAR_host[N][N], ANS_host[N][N];

int dimA = N*N;

int numThreadsPerBlock = 256;

int numBlocks = dimA/numThreadsPerBlock;

int sharedMemSize = numThreadsPerBlock;

size_t memSize = N*sizeof(float);

size_t pitch;

cudaMallocPitch((void **)(&ANS_device), &pitch, memSize, N);

cudaMallocPitch((void **)(&VAR_device), &pitch, memSize, N);

unsigned int stride;

stride = pitch/sizeof(float);

for (int j=0; j<1; j++)

{

for (int i=0; i<N; i++)

{

VAR_host[i][j] = ((float)i+1)*1000;

}

}

for (int j=1; j<N; j++)

{

for (int i=0; i<N; i++)

{

VAR_host[i][j] = 0;

}

}

cudaMemcpy2D(ANS_device, pitch, VAR_host, memSize, memSize, N, cudaMemcpyHostToDevice);

dim3 dimGrid(N/2, N/2);

dim3 dimBlock(2, 2);

int nIterations = 5000;

for(int k=0; k<nIterations; k++)

{

FILENAME <<< numBlocks, dimBlock, sharedMemSize >>> (ANS_device, VAR_device, pitch, pitch, stride, N);

float *temp = ANS_device;

ANS_device = VAR_device;

VAR_device = temp;

}

cudaMemcpy2D(ANS_host, memSize, VAR_device, pitch, memSize, N, cudaMemcpyDeviceToHost);

cudaFree(VAR_device);

cudaFree(ANS_device);

return 0;

}[/codebox]

As another U-M grad, I’d like to help, but it’s pretty hard to understand what’s going on without some proper formatting. Can you edit your original post and use the “code” tags around your code (use the “Wrap in code tags” button, or check out the “BB Code Help” button below) and include some indentation? And also describe what happens when you run the code, and post any error messages from compilation or execution.

Done. You’re right, that wasn’t too readable before.

No problems except for speed.

Hi.

I believe the following code starts by setting x to 0, thus overriding the initial setup.

[codebox]x=0; x<1; x++[/codebox]

Thus every thread executes the same code, and the entire code. This may be the problem in case you have a large number of threads.

Try it without x=0, just [codebox];x<1;x++[/codebox].

Hope it helps.

hlr