Ubuntu 16.04 Login Screen Frozen

While working to get my TX1 setup, I turned it on to receive a “do you want to upgrade to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS” message. I hadn’t really set much up yet, so I figured that this was as good a time as any to upgrade. Frankly, I’m a little surprised that it was so easy considering it’s apparently not supported by NVidia yet.

I upgraded, and while the TX1 seems to run fine, upon reaching the login screen the keyboard and mouse appear to do nothing as the screen is frozen with a desktop and a message in the top right about connecting to WiFi. If I CTRL-ALT-F1 to the console, that works fine, but I can’t seem to access any windowed environments.

Normally this wouldn’t be a problem for me, as I prefer the console, but in this case, I need the desktop to run my wares and apparently to even use JetPack (I think?).

I don’t mind rolling back to a factory default, but it seems I need JetPack to do this, which only seems to run in a windowed environment. (I can’t find any other way.)

I tried purging the NVidia drivers and manually installing them, but I am guessing that there is something particularly non-standard about how the TX1 is setup with NVidia drivers, since that didn’t work.

I don’t mind keeping this setup, so I tried to continue anyway, but it turns out that this project will require a GUI.

Do I have any options here?